• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Has anyone been to Denali?

Do not mean to argue, but take it from someone who lived there. Absolutely not true about Anchorage. Crow Pass, Chugiak trail, Flattop, Girdwood, Kinkaid park, Chocolate factory, Mountain View Sports, Wild West Guns, Portage glacier. Koots (Chillkoot's), Humpy's, Moose Tooth Pizza (they brew their own beer and cream soda as well), Bear Tooth Theater, Rabbit Creek DNR range.

Tent camping---you can, but..... I camped on Mirror lake around the the 4th of July in 2011, overnight temperatures hit high 30s.

Yes I was a bit too harsh with Anchorage. :D I've spent a lot of time there, and for a first timer no doubt it's great. But for someone who wants more of the wilderness experience, there are some truly spectacular places to visit.

I think the best way to really enjoy and see Alaska is to go and visit a different section each time.

I have (20+years in the Great Frozen North), what do you wanna know? You can do packages, or you can do it yourself for half the price (nearly). Feel free to PM.
Are you hitting Chena hot springs while you are up that way?

That place is awesome! I had an excursion with said girl there. :thumb:

If you do not have a car, train is best. Pick and choose your schedule. Tons of NICE cabins all around the park, much cheaper than Denali Princess Lodge.
I guarantee you will see moose if you go to Kinkaid Park in Anchorage, it is 10 minutes from the airport.
While you are in Anchorage, drive out to Girdwood, see the Portage glacier on the way and the Wildlife Sanctuary (rescued bears, caribou, etc). Hike the Crow pass trail in Girdwood. Views to kill for. Carry a gun, I've run into brownies on the trail at least on two hikes there.
How much do you charge for guide service? ;)
My problem is there will be (hopefully) some 'senior citizens' along that aren't going to be able to do anything real strenuous or at least have to have other options while those of us that are willing to go hike several miles all day do so.

And how could I forget about the Alaskan Native museum??? It is is relatively new, but another great place to visit in Anchorage.
Go to AK Native hospital on Tudor rd in Anchorage for all of the Native art they have hanging on the hospital walls, and it is free.

Can you tell I still miss home? :(

PS if any of you think of going to AK, order a copy of Milepost: www.themilepost.com
Start there. There is a reason every Alaskan, who has family visiting from Outside has a Milepost in their house.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom