• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How long do you keep your vehicle?

How long do you keep it?

• Total voters
Bought a new truck in 2002, I still have it and no plans to get another one anytime soon.

To me a new car is 3 years old and under 50,000 miles. Let someone else pay the depreciation. Just have a good mechanical inspection before you buy used.

Private sales are the best.

I have a 1989 F 150, 5.0 with a little over 170,000 and a 2006 Durango with 124,000. My wife bought a new Toyota Camry last July(2014) and has 6040 miles on it. We tend to keep our cars for a long time. We don't drive a lot and we do regular Maintenance as needed. We haven't had a car payment for at least twenty years. In the last five years I have replaced a lot of parts on the F 150 and it was still cheaper than buying a newer one.

Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard method. Take all the money you would have made in payments, invest it and retire 5 years earlier by driving cars 10+ years.

I'm in a 2005 Toyota Prius my wife drove until my son's truck was totaled by an ahole who rear ended him on an Interstate off ramp. He has my 2003 Honda Civic and the wife now has a 2005 Ford ranger we bought used!
To me Clark is more entertaining than Dave Ramsey. But maybe I'm just partial to the WSB locals.
Your sons car story reminds me of the first new car I sold. Back in 95 at Butler Toyota I sold a new Camry LE to a guy named Elmer Lentz. He drove up in an 88 Accord. You remember back then they had flip up headlights. So I asked him about trading the Accord and he said he wouldn't be doing that since he had to give it to his son who was in college. The son's car had recently T boned. 9therwise he never would-be given up the old Honda until the bitter end.
While I was at Butler Toyota I sold a coup!e of new Corolla sedans to people who were replacing another Wrecked Corolla. And that was the ONLY reason they weren't still in their old Corolla. So I guess it's the number one selling car in the world for a reason. I just wish they'd go back to offering Corolla coupes again.

You know what is funny. So many folks resign themselves to car payments and home mortgages. Don't fall into this trap. You can change your life forever by not having either.

Great point.
I have a 2000 GMC Sonoma with 250k on it and a 2004 GMC Yukon with 235k - both running fine. BUT, I got the itch awhile back and went new truck shopping.
WHEN DID A TRUCK BECOME FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!! I was in absolute shock. I am more shocked by the people I saw driving out with a new one.
They actually offer 72 month car loans now. I cannot imagine making 72 payments on a vehicle.

There's a place between blairsville and young Harris that sells refurbished cop cars
They sell a lot of em to the local hillbillys,
Uh, I mean Appalachian Americans.
You just reminded me that there is a place in Forsyth/ Monroe Co that does something similar. I need to Google the name. But its right beside I75 and on the access road to the LE Training Center.

Great point.
I have a 2000 GMC Sonoma with 250k on it and a 2004 GMC Yukon with 235k - both running fine. BUT, I got the itch awhile back and went new truck shopping.
WHEN DID A TRUCK BECOME FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!! I was in absolute shock. I am more shocked by the people I saw driving out with a new one.
They actually offer 72 month car loans now. I cannot imagine making 72 payments on a vehicle.
I had this same reaction. I have always driven older vehicles. One day I thought that I might like to buy something new for once just to say I had. I went looking at trucks and quietly and quickly got back in my wifes car. There is no truck I want that cost that much.

Great point.
72 is quite common now. I've seen 84 months offered especially when you're talking about them new Duramax trucks and them new King Ranch F150s/F250s. And meanwhile neither one has a single bedroom or bathroom.

I'm looking for another P71. I might need to get down there.
Edit - found the website, and it looks like they have a few 2011s.
Okay I just checked and the upcoming Sept 19th auction has 3 white Crown Vics that were 08 and I think 06. There was also one 07 Charger. But the down side to buying the Charger is that I believe Macon bought the base Chargers with the 3.7 V6 engines. Nothing wrong with the 3.7 at all but it ain't exactly a persuit car.

Back
Top Bottom