• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I’m just getting at decent making knives. What are some designs/knives that you think would sell?

holloman

Default rank <400 posts Supporter
Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder
52   0
Reaction score
I’ve cranked out a handful of knives, and I have a decent amount of tools. I’m not trying to get rich making knives, but I would like to build up a little inventory to take to craft fairs. What is something under represented in the knife community where I might find a niche? Anything hard to find at a decent price? Pics included for attention.

Attachments

• 02F8C54F-811A-4C2E-8A21-1A68AF8A5D12.jpeg
    02F8C54F-811A-4C2E-8A21-1A68AF8A5D12.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 3318200A-E326-4495-841E-3B0AD991C655.jpeg
    3318200A-E326-4495-841E-3B0AD991C655.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 5BEF0123-6B91-4E63-AC9B-4415CC707B21.jpeg
    5BEF0123-6B91-4E63-AC9B-4415CC707B21.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 05102929-A496-4432-85F8-117BBFD15247.jpeg
    05102929-A496-4432-85F8-117BBFD15247.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 6901A9E0-EE84-4257-97F8-9AC7DF69069F.jpeg
    6901A9E0-EE84-4257-97F8-9AC7DF69069F.jpeg
    301.8 KB · Views: 75
Not going to tell you what you want to hear. Please understand that I am not trying to dissuade you from moving forward. I've been a bladesmith/knifemaker for more than 50 years. I've seen way too many potential makers ruined by well meant sugar coating.
It's obvious you have some raw talent and you are working hard at making knives. But, there is a lot more to it than heating up steel banging out a knife blade and expecting to make a profit or even break even on expenses. There is a tremendous learning curve to reach quality product and entering the market place.
Lot of folks are trying to do the same (mostly due to FIF and Covid time off). The "market" is flooded with entry level work, some of it good but most not really all that serviceable.

Take a long look at your "go to" knife and think about what makes it just that. Direct your efforts to emulate the things that make that blade a working tool - blade shape, size, grind, handle, and edge geometry. Study up on how serious thermal cycling affects the steel you are using and learn to apply it consistently to achieve quality results, not just ok results. That's just the tip of the iceberg so to speak.

You have a lot of work invested in what you show in the pics above. This is obvious to anyone that's swung a hammer. However, you seem to be more into production than fit and finish. Slow down production and work on refinement of your finish (this after you have developed the skills noted above). Try not to get caught up in the lipstick on a pig crowd. Fancy/pricey materials on a poorly processed blade is a recipe for short term failure. A fancied up engraved butter knife is still a butter knife.

Now to the hard truth about marketing/sales. You only profit if you sell for more than the worth of your efforts, time, and investments in both materials and tooling. There is a "Tupperware" syndrome in the budding knifemaker's world. Sell quite a few to family and friends plus a few more to others, but that small market soon gets flooded out and things slow down quite a bit. You sitll have expenses in material and tools that haven't been paid-off so to speak. I know this is hard thinking, but it's reality.
The standard joke among us experienced makers: Want to make a million $s at this, start with two million and quit when half is gone.

I strongly suggest getting affiliated with groups and organizations that are for Knifemakers. The Georgia Guild is a teaching guild and promotes learning the craft from professionals. The Flint River Knife Club is another. Also if you can attend hammer-ins events you can also learn a lot. You have to be willing to ask the serious questions, but well worth it.

If you have any other questions you are welcome to pm me for contact info.

That’s all fair advice. I’m not trying to make a profit anytime soon, at the moment I’m trying to at least make knives that people can use while I learn. (If that makes sense)

I did one custom order the other day and charged $100 with a sheath. This round of knives are all files (obviously) and I went with the rustic look. But I will certainly improve on the fit and finish with the next round. The important it is that I’m trying new techniques and learning something with every knife. And I am planning to go to a hammer-in in May.

And you hit the nail on the head with being concerned about production, I wanted to have a handful of knives finished to give out for Christmas. I plan to take my time on the next ones!

All commendable, just don't rush things and focus on the issues as they come. A little here a little there and you can increase your skill set as you go.
Just don't let something out of your shop that you aren't sure about integrity wise or that you wouldn't carry yourself. One bad knife can reek havoc on your reputation from the get go.
If you travel much in the Acworth direction, I'm close to Cabela's on 92/I-75. With a decent heads up, might can arrange a shop visit if I'm in.
Trackrock Hammer-in is middle March, not sure the dates yet. It's in Blairsville. Always welcome to attend.

pm me if you're interested

Back
Top Bottom