• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

In doubt of 9mm being best for prepping

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
If you want to cull down your moving gear wouldn't you want a cartridge that both a handgun and a rifle could use. The old cowboys and drifters were on to something. Their pistols and rifles often used the same round. So to keep from having to have 9mm and 5.56, why wouldn't you use something like a 357 be choosen for ability to use 38++p hollow points ect.? Or something like that.

FB_IMG_1672866580254.jpg

Most folks moving and settling out west used a shotgun for just about everything from what I’ve read. I wasn’t around then but it makes sense most couldn’t afford but one firearm to hunt and protect themselves. I don’t believe everything was quick draw single action and guys carrying a repeating rifle and a pistol unless they were in the military or had plenty of money.

You can also easily carry a few hundred rounds of 9mm and 5.56 in magazines. Cant say the same for .357
Exactly this^ 30 rounds of 556 and 18 rounds of 9mm in the palm of my hand ready to go. It's 2023 and we ain't cowboys.

PXL_20230107_184905278.jpg

Of course yes, 357 is a capable cartridge and can handle many situations. But your potential enemies are most likely going to be armed with high capacity 556 rifles and 9mm handguns because like or not that is the most effective tactics available and you will be outgunned Carrying a cowboy load out from the wild west.

Back
Top Bottom