• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is there a wild hog problem?

Around here if you plant food plots for deer the hogs come in and root it all up, eat all the corn at the feeders, yes they are a nuisance, but quite tasty and fun to hunt.

I call BS. Especially for farmers claiming they are over run by hogs. Just ask that same farmer to hunt his property, or look for a "Hog" lease . All you'll see is an out reached hand to be greased. If the problem is so bad they should be welcoming hunters. Look at the number of hog guides making money by signing up clients on both sides farmer pays for hog eradication, guide brings in paying hunters as well... Nothing against guides making a buck.. but come on if it's that bad the guides would be hiring sharpshooters... just my 2 pennies....

What farmers are paying for eradication ? Would you let just anybody in your house to hunt mice because they ask ?

Alot of people down here are spending alot of money to get rid of them on thier own to keep from having to deal with poachers,shot up equipment,law suits etc. Not talking about you shovelhead ,but there is alot of crazys in the world.

Alot of people down here are spending alot of money to get rid of them on thier own to keep from having to deal with poachers,shot up equipment,law suits etc. Not talking about you shovelhead ,but there is alot of crazys in the world.
Agreed .. just one bad apple... I had to knock on a lot of doors. Same thing groundhog hunting. Once the farmers (in PA) saw how careful I was, and the body count for groundhogs they would call me to give me tips where to set up my rig. I've hunted a lot of hogs in GA but getting too old to tromp those swamps.... Guess I need some of that night vision action to fill the freezer

Last edited:
I belonged to a hunt club in Washington Co. between Milledgeville and Sandersville for 10 years. It started out as pretty good deer property but slowly and surely hogs moved in once they discovered our food plots. I've seen hogs charge deer right out of food plots. Hogs are a huge negative impart on nature. They eat everything they can get to including dead hogs. We killed many hogs but as time went on we saw fewer and fewer deer and more hogs. I had a hog charge me once on a foot trail. A male hog who was chasing a sow. Most were no more than 150 Lbs. and usually smaller but I killed one 80 pound hog that had 2 1/2" tusks. I left the club because the deer where gone and hogs ruined a good property right along the Oconee River, south of the kaolin mine. Hogs over-bread fast and they out eat all the other wild life. Hogs are smarter than a dog and they move around to where the food is. Farmers and land owners should welcome hunters but yeah everyone wants cash and then the potential liability thing can be an issue. Hogs are the Devils pet and need to be wiped out.

Last edited:
Sorry to dig up a older thread, but thats what us newbies do lol. Many many years ago my fathers family gave a lot of land to another family, and mean about 1000 acres. My dad and i went by to talk to the care taker, during our talk the issue of hogs came up. The care taker had just gotten back to the barn from checking out the damage hogs had done to one of the fields. Long story short, dad asked about he and i getting to go in and take out as many as we could and would take them to a local food bank that accepts them. Now the new owners knew my dad since he was born and their immediate response was NO. I hear all the time people complaining about hogs, but no one wants anyone to do anything about them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom