Item Relisted! FS/FT Ludwig Loewe S&W No.3 Russian in .44 Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegiantmidget

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
Reaction score
PRE-1898 ANTIQUE—SHIPS DIRECTLY TO YOU

This is a Ludwig Loewe No.3 Russian in .44 Russian with an early three-digit serial number made right around 1876 for the Imperial Russian military.

The TLDR version of the story is this:

S&W had the contract with Russia to produce No.3 top break revolvers in .44 Russian and they made and delivered a bunch, but they messed it all up by selling arms to an enemy country—Japan. Russia was super salty, and they bailed on the contract, nearly bankrupting Smith.

Russia then contracted Ludwig Loewe in Berlin to reverse-engineer and produce the No.3 which they did for the Russian military through the 1880’s.

The No.3 Russian was officially replaced by the M1895 Nagant, though it remained in active service through WWI annd the Bolshevik Revolution and in auxiliary and emergency use through WWII.

Due to his Jewish heritage, Loewe’s factory was seized by the Nazis who used it to produce armaments for the war. Much of Loewe’s family was murdered in the camps.

This example is in what I’d call “good” condition for a 150-year-old antique military sidearm. The original finish is pretty well lost to time, and the revolver has taken on a dim brown-grey patina. Original wooden grips.

The bore on this specimen is surprisingly nice given its age and extensive black powder diet. Strong lands and grooves, some light frosting.

Topstrap lettering is worn but clearly legible.

The lockup and timing are understandably slack given the age and hard military use of this piece, but the weapon is complete and everything functions.

I have not shot this revolver, and I don’t think I’d try to given its age and collector value.

These curious historical revolvers remain very rare in the States, and routinely bring 2-3K at the major auction houses.

This is a pre-1898 antique is not legally considered a firearm—can ship directly to your home.

Price is $1500. I will consider trades.

We primarily collect pre-1946 Russian stuff, and I would like to add another war-era PU sniper rifle to our collection. I’ll look at others.

Attachments

• IMG_4034.jpeg
    IMG_4034.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4033.jpeg
    IMG_4033.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 118
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom