• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Item Relisted! FT S&W Model 58/29 .44 Magnum

DVWaters

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
Reaction score
Item has been relisted, you can find the new listing at: https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/ft-s-w-model-58-29-44-magnum.1470486/
Item Name: FT S&W Model 58/29 .44 Magnum

Zip Code: 30143

Item is for: Trade Only
Trade Value or Items Looking For: S&W big bore revolvers w/ 6" barrel, multi gun trades, AR10, nice AR15 package, bolt guns in .308 and .300 win mag with optic and cash/ cheaper pistol.

Maybe a nice MK12 SPR clone would take it as well.

Caliber: .44 Magnum/.44 Special

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: Up for possible trade/sale is a very nice 1975-1976 Smith and Wesson model 58, has been converted to .44 with a model 29 4" pinned, shrouded barrel and recessed .44 Mag cylinder. I just picked this thing up since I had heard of but never seen one of these conversions first hand, took it to my gunsmith and he said it was a d*** good conversion, and gave me the ok to fire some rounds down range after a few adjustments (strain screw loose). It's a handful with the target grips, but runs like a dream and not everyone has one of these. It will take a pretty good trade to take it, but I'd like to see what's out there before I put it in the safe and dont see it for a couple years.

Thanks for looking!

Can send more pics upon request. I'll put a few more up tonight when I get to the house.

Pictures:
img_0102-jpg.1255746

Attachments

• IMG_0102.JPG
    IMG_0102.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 11,667
  • IMG_0108.JPG
    IMG_0108.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0109.JPG
    IMG_0109.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0110.JPG
    IMG_0110.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0111.JPG
    IMG_0111.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0112.JPG
    IMG_0112.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0113.JPG
    IMG_0113.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: JHW
Respectfully; How do you know it was converted? I am asking because miss-marked S&W model numbers are not that rare.
However it is close to the time period when many conversions were done. After 1971 SO many people wanted a 44 magnum that the smiths were kept busy with conversions.
Why then? I'll give you one guess, if you feel lucky. Well do ya punk? ;)

Well a model 58 didn't come with a 4" shrouded barrel, except for the 3 that were made by S&W for American Firearms.

If it was a mismark on a .41 barrel, I would imagine the barrel would be unshrouded, and shooting 44 through it would be a death sentence. From what my gunsmith and I can tell, it's a model 58 frame, with a 4" model 29 shrouded barrel and a model 29 cylinder. The cylinder hasn't been re-bored from 41 Mag.

On a lesser note the patina on the barrel and cylinder are slightly different from the frame, leaning more toward the conversion to 44. I figure it was a 41 mag, and in the Dirty Harry years it was converted to .44.

On a lesser note the patina on the barrel and cylinder are slightly different from the frame, leaning more toward the conversion to 44. I figure it was a 41 mag, and in the Dirty Harry years it was converted to .44.
Cool. Makes sense. I was suspecting it might have been an original 4" 29 but the model number was miss marked as 58. But the time-frameand finish differences point to conversion.

Sorry for the side track. GLWT.

Yeah, it's a curious S&W for sure. None of my knowledge on it isnt 100% as I haven't heard back from S&W yet, I imagine I will hear that it left the factory as a .41 mag. If you google a model 58 in 44 mag it's a good read, if I could get ahold of one of the 3 S&W made for American Firearms I'd be in good shape, the last time I looked on GunBroker they had one for $26,900.

The obvious detail as this being a true model 58 is that it is fixed sighted. All model 29's that I know of are adjustable sighted. Either way is there a cash price on this Smith?
Smith and Wesson made three Model 29s with fixed/combat sights. But this one ain't one of them. Nice Gun none the less, and a unique item to have in one's safe.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-hand-ejectors-1896-1961/65247-fixed-sight-model-29-a.html

The first time it was up for sale I took a hard look at buying it because I really like the S&W orphans like this! GLWS/T to the OP and you if you happen to try and acquire it. :thumb:
Free Bump :bump2:

Wouldn't mind trading for a nice stainless GP100 in .357 with an optic attached and some cash, or something a little more practical to handgun hunt with.

Also Bolt guns in .308 and .300 win mag with a nice optic and some cash would be hard to turn down, deer season will be here in no time.

Back
Top Bottom