• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Land Rover Question

SMLEshooter

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
92   0
Reaction score
I'm in the process of taking a failed 4.6 Bosch engine in an '03 Disco II and swapping it with a running 4.0 GEMS engine from a '96 Disco I. Specifically, I'm taking the long block from the 4.0 and installing the ignition and fuel system from the 4.6 so that it will communicate with the '03 computer.

Everything seems to be lining up, front cover/oil pump, oil pan, heads, intake manifold, etc... but have run into a snag with the crank position sensor mount.

I'm wondering if any of you local Land Rover folks have any insight into this type of swap.

I don't think you're going to get the Bosch ECU to communicate with the GEMS engine. Fit should be fine, but I think you'll need to bypass several systems and use the GEMS computer to get it to run. I've done a lot of wrenching on my DII, but anything that technical I'd take to Luke Miles at the SHOP in Norcross. Even if you have no intention of taking it anywhere, you should give them a call he's a straight shooter and will tell what you're going to need. I got a slipped liner in my '99 DII and am preparing myself for the engine swap that's in my future. So, keep us updated on your progress. DISCOWEB.ORG and PIRATE4X4.COM are also good resources, if their not already in use.

Sam

Figure out the voltage range they both operate at and which wires do what and splice the sensor that fits to the connector that fits.

If the output-input doesn't jive then you would have to build some electronic way to correct the output voltage.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Based on my discussions with some of the folks over at Discoweb over the past week or so, the 4.0 GEMS block and the 4.6 Bosch block are pretty much identical, with the exception of the crank position sensor mount...and the obvious internal differences to make it a 4.6 instead of 4.0, which for my purposes, don't matter. I just want to make my dead car run, slightly less power is not an issue at the moment.

They indicated that taking the block from the 4.0 and swapping in the 4.6 Bosch sensors, intake manifold, ignition system, etc... would allow it to function in the Bosch system... So far, everything from the 4.6 Bosch has fit the 4.0 GEMS, just as they said it would. Seems Bosch vs GEMS is primarily the control apparatus, not the actual power plant.

The crank position mount looks to be a round disc, welded into a hole on the driver side of the engine, just below the exhaust manifold. It looks to be the same size disc as the 4.6 sensor mount, just a slightly different profile to accept the 4.6 sensor.

It looks like I can cut the welds holding the mount to the 4.0 block, install the mount from the 4.6 and re-weld, but was hoping there was an easier way...

Also, I would presume the stock engine sensor would work with the stock engine.
The old engine sensor might not work correctly in a different engine.
If am reading it right.

Back
Top Bottom