• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Marlin X 7 Series Rifle

Chuckdog

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
11   0
Reaction score
This review is based on an XS 7 in .243 with a camo synthetic stock. I bought it used from a fellow member this past week. It is in like new condition and should be a close representation of a new one. The metal is finished in a polished blue, that seems a little out of place with the camo stock, but looks to be a very good finish especially for the modest price. The bolt is fluted and moves almost as slick as a Tikka. The bolt fitting and moving so slick is what first caused me to be curious about this rifle. I looked it over, cleared the chamber and proceded to dry fire the Marlin and I knew it was worth a little my time to check this rifle out further. The Glock/Savage type accutrigger breaks like glass @ 2lbs. according to my RCBS gauge. I brought the rifle home and disassembled it to make sure everthing looked good under the stock. I found it to be in perfect unaltered condition. The trigger features a single screw adjustment for weight, with a lock nut to keep it set. The two position safety is located next to the bolt, much like a 700. It allows the bolt to be worked in either position. The action sits atop two pillars that are camoed, so I'm not sure what they're made from. The rifle sports a blind magazine that was quite easy to get in place when replacing the stock. I torqued the action screws evenly until I reached 45 inch/lbs on both. The action sits in the stock surprisingly square, and the free floated barrel rides right down the middle of the barrel channel, without a lot free space on either side, giving a very nice almost hand fitted look. The fit of this rifle is much better than most production rifles I've seen at two to three times the price of this one. The rifle came with a one piece weaver type base, so I used a pair of Burris quick detach rings to set a Burris Timberline compact 3 X 9 scope on to it. It made a nice looking rig, without adding an excessive amount of weight to the lightweight 22" sporter. I loaded some 100g Sierra Pro Hunter flat base bullets using a dose of IMR 4064 powder at the Sierra recommended length and headed for the range. It took two shots to get it sighted in dead on @ 50 yds. I move to the 100 yd target and shot two, they were only about an inch high and 1/4" right. I adjusted the scope up 4 clicks, and to left 1 click. I let the barrel cool for 20 minutes in 45 degree weather while I set a new target and test fired a couple of pistols. After coming back to the rifle, the barrel was cold to the touch, so I loaded three rounds in the mag and chambered the first. I want to add how well this rifle feeds and ejects the rounds too. With entry level rifles in the past, I've not been overly pleased with these things. This thing is hard to find fault with. Any way back to the shooting. I fired three rounds at the first target, with all three landing well under the inch mark, the first one was dead @ 12:00 2" above point of aim. The next two were touching about a half inch below the first shot. I was firing off an adjustable front rest with a saddle and a sand bag in the rear. I let the barrel cool about 5 minutes and put two more down range at a second target. They punched through side by side about a half in apart 2" above point of aim. What can you say about this rifle other than, Damn! I don't know about the rest of you, but I've spent a lot more money, I mean a lot more money, and not got this kind of results. It's not a bad looking rifle, it's light and handles well, it works near as slick as a Tikka, it's more than accurate enough for deer and with the right loads maybe accurate enough for small varmints, all for around $350.00 new. If they all shoot and function as well as this one did today, they sure seem like a bargain to me. Chuckdog

Last edited:
I've got the XL7 in .270 and it is the best rifle i've ever owned. I've shot savage with the accutrigger, remington 700's and 788's, and even a custom rifle in 7mm stw. the only one the beat it was the custom one (hes put over 2k in it and can litteraly shoot bullet holes at 500yards.) This rifle should be the new benchmark for out of the box accuracy.

Chuckdog,

I've got an XL7, chambered in .30-06, and I've recently purchased an XS7, chambered in .308 Win. These really are great rifles for the money spent. I'd like to share some info about these guns as well, and I hope you don't mind me posting this info in your thread. I'd basically like to add to what you've already done.

First, some eye candy :eyebrows:
.308 on the left, .30-06 on the right. (Click image for full size):

I've also checked out of the box trigger pull on my recently purchased .308 using my RCBS Pull Scale, and it tripped at 4 lb. 2 oz without any adjustment. For reference, the trigger pull on my
XL7 .30-06 was about the same weight out of the box, but I've adjusted it down to a nice and crisp 2 lb. 2 oz . See image below:

i38.photobucket.com_albums_e129_ti_force_Firearms_Marlin_20XS7_DSC01287.jpg

I don't own a Remington 700, but I came within a gnat's butt of buying one last year. It was a camo, Buckmasters edition, chambered in .7mm-08. I remember the 700 fitting me very well. It felt like it was meant to be there when pulled into firing position, and the X7 feels the same way (to me), it really reminds me of a 700.

I believe this rifle has a LimbSaver pad on it. It may not be a LimbSaver, but it sure feels like one .

I've taken some measurements for anyone who's interested:

Length of pull was measured from the rear, center of the butt pad to the front, center of the trigger, and since the trigger is roughly a 1/4" closer to the butt pad when it's not in the cocked position, I cocked the gun to take this measurement. The gun was not loaded.

Total length was measured from the top, rear of the butt pad to the end of the barrel.

Barrel length was measured from the end of the barrel to the rear of the barrel nut.

Receiver length was measured from the end of the top of the receiver to the beginning of the barrel nut.

____________________XL7____________________XS7_______________
LOP_______________13 1/4"__________________13 1/4"_____________
Total Length________42 9/16"___________________42"______________
Barrel Length_______21 5/16"_________________21 5/16"____________
Receiver Length_____6 13/16"_________________6 1/4"____________

Also, I was curious about the weight of these rifles so I weighed my XS7 (.308). I'd love to weigh my XL7 (.30-06) for comparison, but since I already have a scope mounted on that rifle, and since it's currently my main hunting rig, I'm not pulling the scope off just to weigh the gun (my scale has a 5 pound max limit). If I remove the scope in the future, I'll be sure to weight it and post my results here.

I measured the weight of this rifle with the bolt removed because (like previously mentioned) my scale has a 5 lb max capacity. For reference, the scale used for all measurements is a Pelouze PE5, the rifle didn't have the base, rings or even the base screws threaded into the receiver for this measurement. Just the rifle.

Rifle weight without bolt = 4 lb, 12.2 oz.
Bolt weight = 11.7 oz.

Total weight = 5 lb, 7.9 oz.

Maybe this info will be helpful to someone.

Last edited:
I have the same gauge, and I got the exact same measurement. I shot mine again today. I have yet to find fault with the rifle. It does everything a rifle should, very well.

I own the XL7C in 30-06, best rifle I have ever owned as well. Trigger pull is awesome and the bolt is super smooth. Accuracy is amazing! I put a Nikon Prostaff scpoe on it with the realtree APG camo pattern...I leave the weatherby mark V at home

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom