• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need a lawyer around Tifton

That atty is full of it. They wont suspend his lic off one speeding tkt unless it was 100mph in a school zone while dui or something.
Go to the d.a. And talk to him. Ask him if he can plea guilty and pay a fine to have points dropped.
The attny was hoping you would hire him for an easy case by scaring you.
I wouldn’t believe him... just my .02

I agree. Don’t listen to that attorney.

Just show up to court. If Tifton is like everywhere else if you show up to court they will reduce for a lesser charge with less points if you take the trouble to show up. Fair warning, their lesser charge ticket is more expensive than the original ticket. Government at work. Pay to avoid penalty.

That atty is full of it. They wont suspend his lic off one speeding tkt unless it was 100mph in a school zone while dui or something.
Go to the d.a. And talk to him. Ask him if he can plea guilty and pay a fine to have points dropped.
The attny was hoping you would hire him for an easy case by scaring you.
I wouldn’t believe him... just my .02

I agree. Don’t listen to that attorney.

The OP already stated he's 18 and was going "pretty fast". If he was exceeding the speed limit 24 mph or more and pleads or is found guilty of that offense his license will be suspended for 6 months. I'm guessing he was going at least 24 mph over the limit and that's why the attorney advised of the possible suspension.

O.C.G.A. 40-5-57. Suspension of licenses of persons under age 21 for certain offenses; suspension of licenses of persons under age 18 for certain point accumulations; issuance of new license following suspension

(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, the driver's license of any person under 21 years of age convicted of hit and run or leaving the scene of an accident in violation of Code Section 40-6-270, racing on highways or streets, using a motor vehicle in fleeing or attempting to elude an officer, reckless driving, any offense for which four or more points are assessable under subsection (c) of Code Section 40-5-57, purchasing an alcoholic beverage in violation of paragraph (2) of subsection (a) of Code Section 3-3-23, or violation of paragraph (3) or (5) of subsection (a) of Code Section 3-3-23, or violation of Code Section 40-6-391 shall be suspended by the department as provided by this Code section

40-5-57. Suspension or revocation of license of habitually negligent or dangerous driver; point system

(b) For the purpose of identifying habitually dangerous or negligent drivers and habitual or frequent violators of traffic regulations governing the movement of vehicles, the department shall assess points, as provided in subsection (c) of this Code section, for convictions of violations of the provisions of Chapter 6 of this title, of violations of lawful ordinances adopted by local authorities regulating the operation of motor vehicles, and of offenses committed in other states which if committed in this state would be grounds for such assessment. Notice of each assessment of points may be given, but the absence of notice shall not affect any suspension made pursuant to this Code section. No points shall be assessed for violating a provision of state law or municipal ordinance regulating standing, parking, equipment, size, and weight. The department is required to suspend the license of a driver, without preliminary hearing, when his driving record identifies him as a habitually dangerous or negligent driver or as a habitual or frequent violator under this subsection.
(c)(1)(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (C) of this paragraph, the points to be assessed for each offense shall be as provided in the following schedule:
Aggressive driving...............................................6 points
Reckless driving.................................................4 points
Unlawful passing of a school bus.................................6 points
Improper passing on a hill or a curve............................4 points
Exceeding the speed limit by 24 miles per hour or more but less than 34
miles per hour................................................4 points
Exceeding the speed limit by 34 miles per hour or more...........6 points

The OP already stated he's 18 and was going "pretty fast". If he was exceeding the speed limit 24 mph or more and pleads or is found guilty of that offense his license will be suspended for 6 months. I'm guessing he was going at least 24 mph over the limit and that's why the attorney advised of the possible suspension.

O.C.G.A. 40-5-57. Suspension of licenses of persons under age 21 for certain offenses; suspension of licenses of persons under age 18 for certain point accumulations; issuance of new license following suspension

(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, the driver's license of any person under 21 years of age convicted of hit and run or leaving the scene of an accident in violation of Code Section 40-6-270, racing on highways or streets, using a motor vehicle in fleeing or attempting to elude an officer, reckless driving, any offense for which four or more points are assessable under subsection (c) of Code Section 40-5-57, purchasing an alcoholic beverage in violation of paragraph (2) of subsection (a) of Code Section 3-3-23, or violation of paragraph (3) or (5) of subsection (a) of Code Section 3-3-23, or violation of Code Section 40-6-391 shall be suspended by the department as provided by this Code section

40-5-57. Suspension or revocation of license of habitually negligent or dangerous driver; point system

(b) For the purpose of identifying habitually dangerous or negligent drivers and habitual or frequent violators of traffic regulations governing the movement of vehicles, the department shall assess points, as provided in subsection (c) of this Code section, for convictions of violations of the provisions of Chapter 6 of this title, of violations of lawful ordinances adopted by local authorities regulating the operation of motor vehicles, and of offenses committed in other states which if committed in this state would be grounds for such assessment. Notice of each assessment of points may be given, but the absence of notice shall not affect any suspension made pursuant to this Code section. No points shall be assessed for violating a provision of state law or municipal ordinance regulating standing, parking, equipment, size, and weight. The department is required to suspend the license of a driver, without preliminary hearing, when his driving record identifies him as a habitually dangerous or negligent driver or as a habitual or frequent violator under this subsection.
(c)(1)(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (C) of this paragraph, the points to be assessed for each offense shall be as provided in the following schedule:
Aggressive driving...............................................6 points
Reckless driving.................................................4 points
Unlawful passing of a school bus.................................6 points
Improper passing on a hill or a curve............................4 points
Exceeding the speed limit by 24 miles per hour or more but less than 34
miles per hour................................................4 pointsExceeding the speed limit by 34 miles per hour or more...........6 points
I can also attest to this personally unfortunately

He's 18, never had a ticket anywhere. No criminal record.
With his age they will likely make him do classes and possibly community service, just because he is 18.

He is too young to plea nolo. If he pleas to anything 24mph or higher he will lose his license for 6 months. Been there when i got a 28mph ticket as a 16 year old!

If you go without a lawyer, which i don't recommend, he should ask the solicitor if a defensive driving class and/or community service will get him a reduction to 14mph over or less. 14mph or less doesn't even get reported to DDS so you wont have a record of it at all for insurance companies to see.

If they wont go that low, then anything 23mph over-the-limit or under will help him keep his license, albeit hell have points and the violation will be reported to DDS where the insurance company will see it.

If you have an attorney they are generally more likely to negotiate with you.

Back
Top Bottom