• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NFA and Going to Active Duty?

NFA in a non-NFA friendly state is a no-no even if it's on post. I don't remember ever seeing a restriction for NFA items on post when I was active duty. I have heard some guys getting a safe deposit box to store a supressor or SBR lower in home state while on active.

You will most likely have to do one of two things. Sell them, or figure out a secure storage situation outside CA (Locked and stored at a relative's, in a safety deposit box) You will not be able to keep it on base. California's terrible laws still apply unless the stuff is owned by the government.

did you identify another trustee in your trust? worst case leave it w/ that person. if you didn't ID another trustee, get an attorney to help you make a legitimate change to the existing trust. if you did a Quicken trust or some other fill-in-the-blank type of trust, you're about to learn a lesson as to why you should always have an attorney set up the NFA trust.

hahahaha

Gotta try to justify that extra hundreds of dollars you wasted on a lawyer somehow.

Base or Post commander has final say on what is and is not allowed on base/post. It's a military installation so I'm pretty sure the BATFE doesn't have authority over what is or is not there. Chances are it won't be allowed simply because the military leadership is terrified of members with loaded guns. Most require storage at the armory regardless.

While contacting the ATF contact your new post and check with them, the publc affairs office should have the necessary information or can steer you to the correct source. I'd suggest having them send it in writing should you decide to take your toys with you.

There are several local ranges that will do long term storage of firearms. That might be an alternative as well. If you do so I'd remove a critical piece of the firearm to render in unserviceable just to keep folks honest.

I hope this helps.

I am active duty Army and I have NFA items (supressors only). I just purchased them in 2011, so I haven't had them long. They currently reside in PA in a safe deposit box. When I return from Korea, I plan to take them with me wherever I go, hopefully Fort Hood. Though I don't live on post anymore(in barracks) due to my rank so I don't have to worry about having them on post or not. Though I did bring them onto Benning to the shooting range on occasion.

When you say you go active, what does that specifically mean in your case? You are staying active or just for a few weeks? I am not sure how the national guard works and the phrase "going active" as I have been active for many years.

I am active duty Army and I have NFA items (supressors only). I just purchased them in 2011, so I haven't had them long. They currently reside in PA in a safe deposit box. When I return from Korea, I plan to take them with me wherever I go, hopefully Fort Hood. Though I don't live on post anymore(in barracks) due to my rank so I don't have to worry about having them on post or not. Though I did bring them onto Benning to the shooting range on occasion.

When you say you go active, what does that specifically mean in your case? You are staying active or just for a few weeks? I am not sure how the national guard works and the phrase "going active" as I have been active for many years.

I will be an O-1E with 5 years TIS, I will be Active Duty army, discharged from the Reserves.

99% of on base regulations are directly from the local state laws (im a former MP). so im voting a safe deposit box. better safe than sorry. it is a absolute hassle to bring guns onto bases, lotta paperwork. you can of course, just not declare it to the gaurds, but if you get randomly checked you will have a bad day. all your guns confiscated more than likely, not to mention at least a article 15.

i will voluteer to be added to your trust though, ill keep your toys safe :)

Probably require you to lock it up at a relatives house where no one has access to it but you. Get it when you get back.

That or add a relatives or a trusting friend to trust and have them hold onto it for you. Make sure you supply them with trust and copies of stamps.

Back
Top Bottom