• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pond construction and maintenance

I looked into this some years ago. It is expensive to get it right. You get the fish population going, it'll be hard to keep it under control. You'll have to pay someone to take fish out occasionally. Greg Grimes would be a good source to get whatever you need
Thanks, I have seen his name come up in other forums.

I looked into this some years ago. It is expensive to get it right. You get the fish population going, it'll be hard to keep it under control. You'll have to pay someone to take fish out occasionally. Greg Grimes would be a good source to get whatever you need
DNR Fisheries may still have an annual program where you sign up for a pond survey. They test the water and evaluate your pond for proper fish habitat and make recommendations. It used to be free but I don't know if that is still the case.

Haha. I am sure you are thinking waterfalls and large koi. It is a large hole in the ground on its 3rd liner and second uv filtration system. I reduced some of the pond plants as they had become root bound The nitrogen from the fish poop turned it solid green so i didnt replaced them when they passed. Every summer a contingency of small frogs return to their birth home to serenade us nightly and create about 1000 more frogs. The kids want me to fill it in and get a fire pit.😂
When it comes to keeping fish, the solution to the pollution is dilution. Water changes.

Thanks for the info. I have known these people for 20 years. They are locals and don't advertise. They have done other work for us, just never a pond. We have seen ponds they have built though, and they are nice. And yes, they own all of the proper equipment to do the job.

We stumbled across the Pond Boss a few weeks ago, and it is a wealth of information. Oddly, we created an account, but never received an email, and have not been activated. We sent an email to find out what was going on, and still haven't heard.

Odd. But follow up and get activated. I would strongly recommend subscribing to the magazine. And if back ssues are available consider investing in them.

Depending on your design if a dam is being built make 200% certain the Corp of Engineers sign off. And GA EPD. If necessary. Here is a simple document that has info.

I don't see your location, but if you are close and want fish, I could look at it for you. Not talking money, just what needs to be tweaked.
Thanks. I think we are good. I only had feeder goldfish because I am cheap and one oversized white catfish we named Reggie (Reggie White --get it) . It looked good when the water was fresh but leaves from the trees and the fish poop required more time that I had. The main tree offender is gone along with the fish so I am thinking more plants and just enjoy the fountain.

our farm pond is sure enough pricey to maintain,, trying to get rid of algae was a 3 yr process , and definitely get permits through dnr they can bankrupt you if you don't

Thanks. I think we are good. I only had feeder goldfish because I am cheap and one oversized white catfish we named Reggie (Reggie White --get it) . It looked good when the water was fresh but leaves from the trees and the fish poop required more time that I had. The main tree offender is gone along with the fish so I am thinking more plants and just enjoy the fountain.
He’s white like Frank Black is?

Hey
We are in Sparta. Had an engineer come and mark the well. Near 600ft deep close to 100gal well. The pond was lined with clay.
We pumped it up. Rarely have to add water. We added catfish and ga giants.
Its probably close to two acre. The back half is plantable for ducks. We can draw the water down. There hasnt been too much maintenance. I can talk to dad if you want the builders. IMG_8523.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom