PSA PA-10 .308 range and function report

I think I told you that you’d be happy with that stock barrel…but I ain’t one to tell you “I told ya so” 😉.

I shot my new Sig 716i today and I didn’t shoot it as well as I did with my PSA. I’m thinking the brake on the 18” PSA barrel vs the flash hider on the 16” Sig is the main culprit. It’s accurate enough but I definitely got more flinchy after the first few rounds and the group opened up. That’s why I say the first two rounds tell the tale of the rifle and the following rounds tell the tale of the shooter. It sure was nice to finish my range day with a soft shooting 5.56 😉

Easiest is to Swap barrels. The change in profile, weight, and balance of the two barrels is going to be a very noticeable difference and dramatic improvement.

Isn’t the PSA a dreaded govt profile? Can’t imagine running that in a 308 size/configuration.
I believe it is. It's fairly light for a large frame AR and you feel it. Holy mackerel!

I think I told you that you’d be happy with that stock barrel…but I ain’t one to tell you “I told ya so” 😉.

I shot my new Sig 716i today and I didn’t shoot it as well as I did with my PSA. I’m thinking the brake on the 18” PSA barrel vs the flash hider on the 16” Sig is the main culprit. It’s accurate enough but I definitely got more flinchy after the first few rounds and the group opened up. That’s why I say the first two rounds tell the tale of the rifle and the following rounds tell the tale of the shooter. It sure was nice to finish my range day with a soft shooting 5.56 😉
Oh yeah I need a good muzzle brake as well. That should help aot as well. After I get the stuff I intend on getting I should have everything I need to wiggle my way into a good balance.

All BA all day!
Mine too is a work in progress.

Tell you what… I learned this from a smart feller… a vertical grip just past the magwell makes a HUGE difference in handling with a rifle this heavy.

Attachments

• IMG_5073.jpeg
    IMG_5073.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5072.jpeg
    IMG_5072.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 6
Since the barrel shoots halfway decent I don't know whether to put the new barrel coming in this one or just leave it alone and build a different AR-10. Decisions, decisions!
Swap the barrels and build a backup rifle with the PSA barrel 👍🏼

I have a 16” sitting in the safe I have yet to shoot. It’s kind of a meme rifle if I can be honest. Spring was sticking out from under the pistol grip, handguard screw was barely finger tight, with a round in the chamber I almost have to mortar the rifle to get the action to cycle, magazines fit funny. You have to put upward pressure to get the mag release to pop out. I’m hoping some use will break it in and loosen some things up. Without shooting it, I’m not impressed. But it also wasn’t a $1500+ rifle

Swap the barrels and build a backup rifle with the PSA barrel 👍🏼

I have a 16” sitting in the safe I have yet to shoot. It’s kind of a meme rifle if I can be honest. Spring was sticking out from under the pistol grip, handguard screw was barely finger tight, with a round in the chamber I almost have to mortar the rifle to get the action to cycle, magazines fit funny. You have to put upward pressure to get the mag release to pop out. I’m hoping some use will break it in and loosen some things up. Without shooting it, I’m not impressed. But it also wasn’t a $1500+ rifle
Take a bore mop roughly a bit smaller than the chamber. Then lit a little lapping compound on the mop. The put the cleaning rod in a drill and work it back and forth slowly being careful not to get into the neck and throat area. Just do a little at a time. I had to do that in a 5.56 barrel from them. It knocked down the burrs in there and cleaned it right up. It is still a tight chamber but it extracts a round now.

Back
Top Bottom