• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pull or shot them

BkBigKid

Default rank <2500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
240   0
Reaction score
Years ago I got a bunch of .357 hollow point projectiles. I resized some of them with a .355 resizing die and loaded them into 9mm cases.

At the range the other day I was shooting them and had a few roads that felt and sounded hotter than the others. Didn't think much of it as it happens with a progressive loader.
However I did have one round Fire then heard a Sizzling sound and the bullet lodged half way down a 4 inch barrel. Immediately stripped the gun and and used a rod to attemp to puch the round out. Zero movement! Shoot a few more rounds out of other guns with only one round not wanting to go into battery.

At home I tried to dislodge the projectile with a wooden dowel and hammer. No movement. Next a screwdriver and a bigger hammer only succeeded in putting a cross in the round and zero movement. Next Attempt is a flat end punch and hammer and Zero movement again. Final measure was to drill the core of the projectile out then punch it out with a smaller punch.
I had squids many of times but never had one stuck like this!

I am at a crossroad!
Is it a projectile that didn't get resized?
New barrel that was too tight ( first 10 rounds) ?
Is It is just a difficult squib ?

What to do with the remianing 300 rounds done like this? Shoot or pull?

i have heard that in a squib load, if the projectile is a soft point of hollow point, it is best to push it forward than it is moving it backward. If the barrell belongs to an everyday gun, I would try pulling some oil/wd 40, let it sit and use an wooden dowel again. If it is a precious gun...then I reco you try a gunsmith

I really dont feel that a 357 would be an issue in a 355 barrel. I wouldnt necessarily pull the bullets, as long as you weigh all the loaded rounds and see if you have any that is over the average by say 4 grains or under by 4 grains.

Toss.

Never heard of a "too tight barrel." Tight match chamber? Sure. Barrel? No.

I'd pull them and either resize the projectiles or toss them, or load them in .357 cases.
New barrel and just wondered if it was done correctly? New experience for me!

i have heard that in a squib load, if the projectile is a soft point of hollow point, it is best to push it forward than it is moving it backward. If the barrell belongs to an everyday gun, I would try pulling some oil/wd 40, let it sit and use an wooden dowel again. If it is a precious gun...then I reco you try a gunsmith

I really dont feel that a 357 would be an issue in a 355 barrel. I wouldnt necessarily pull the bullets, as long as you weigh all the loaded rounds and see if you have any that is over the average by say 4 grains or under by 4 grains.
I did get the slug out but it was not budging with force! Drill was needed.
.002 or 2 thousands of a inch doesn't seem like much but it is. I usually only keep .355 and I can load both 38, 9, and 357mag with them.

I think my next step is to plunk test every round and see if I can catch any fail that a .357 projectile should fail in a 9mm check block.

I did a chamber test to the remaining rounds and measured several and they measured .355 at the top of the brass.

I will run them across the scale to see if there is a big difference in any.

I never had a jacketed hollow point sqib before so would the difficulty removing be normal?
Lead of coated bullets are generally simple to get out. The jacketed hollow point was rough to remove.

Attachments

• 20240418_214014.jpg
    20240418_214014.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 3
Sounds like you did not have enough powder in the one round that got stuck.

I dought the bullet had anything to do with the trouble. But, If one in a few hundred rounds got stuck, a second round will likely get stuck if you still have a few hundred rounds to shoot.

You will not be able to detect a weight difference, brass case weight variation will make your efforts a waste of time-unless, maybe, if all the brass is from the same lot.

Back
Top Bottom