• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommendations for dog training and avg pricing?

We bought a young 8 week old lab many years ago. He was a handful. We enrolled him in a well recommended dog handler class when he was old enough. We (wife,dog and I) attended all of the 8 or 10 week course dates. You have heard of a school's No Child Left Behind policy? Well, they have it for dogs too! Maybe it was not the dog, maybe it was my fault, but someone left the course dumber than a bag of rocks. A casual friend that raises dogs spent 4 hours (was intending to do one hour) working with Charlie. He was too much for us and we regimes him to a young couple and their 3 year old daughter. They returned him 2 weeks later. We found a Lab Rescue service and Charlie went to a new home. A year later, we got a Lab that had been in a no kill shelter for six months. It was love at first sight for all three of us (well, we had treats in our hands for him. He is a food whore.) That was 7 years ago and he is a pleasure.

I do not have the patience it takes to keep up with an overactive dog. Do not want to go thru teething and seeing everything gnawed on. Dogs can be great companions and family members. They can also be the devil's spawn!

It’s been pretty many years ago now, but we attended an 8-10 week program at the old

Newnan fairgrounds. The instructor was a very experienced older lady. It’s wasn’t

Expensive at all , and the dog learned a lot. When we were done, I could take him to the vet without a leash,

If I wanted to. He would walk at my side just behind me, If I ran he ran, if I slowed up he’d slowed up, If I stopped

He sat beside me. And she knew how to break an aggressive dog in a minute. There was a young GS that was very

Aggressive, the 1st time he jumped on a dog, she had a rolled up magazine in her back pocket. She hit him across the nose

Hard, she pulled him back to the other dog and he growled , she busted him again in the nose. Then pulled him over to the

Dog again, and the GS wouldn’t even look at the other dog.

I am looking at an instructor many of my friends have used. The instructor has a course package for 1695 with on/off leash, recall/ obedience. I have worked her on leash, potty training, and place commands a good bit waiting for the rest of her crate and training stuff to come in. Many of my friends and former coworkers were k9 and I researched it a lot when an opening for jail k9 handler opened up at my last gig. I do well but it's just difficult while I'm not a home during work. Once she is vaxxed fixed and trained she can come to work with me since our shop is super pup friendly.

One tip, when the dog barks make sure to yell at it “ SHUT DA FOOQ UP” it works like a charm. True story , I once had some solicitors at my front door and I wanted to scare them off. My dogs were barking ( they were doing their job) and I walked up to the door and cupped my hands over the crack between the door and it’s frame. I took a deep breath and with everything I had in me, with the most heavy metal / evil voice I could come up with I hollered out “shut da fooq up before I butt fawk you”!
The religious solicitor ran off my front porch so fast that they dropped a handful of those pamphlets they like to discuss. I laughed, my dogs laughed, it was a good time…. Judge me if you will but I was in my early 20s.

Back
Top Bottom