• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Riverbend Rimfire Silhouette Match - Gear needed ?

Openspaces

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
79   0
Reaction score
Anyone know what will be needed and if this is open to the public? Looking to try this out and hopefully find some sponsors so I can join the club.

Attachments

• 13F3AEE4-A896-4AC0-A4F3-011E4EB0E3D8.jpeg
    13F3AEE4-A896-4AC0-A4F3-011E4EB0E3D8.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 19
given what I've seen so far with River Bend if you show up with anything close to what you need and a good attitude you'll get setup with anything extra you might need to have a good time.

and yes, all matches are open to the public.

I shot .22 metallic silhouette targets at some other ranges, not Riverbend.
I used a rather plain Ruger 10/22 with an ordinary scope on it, nothing fancy, so I never investigated the rules about weight limits or barrel length limits, or restrictions on adjustable stocks, etc.

It's an entirely slow-fire course, but I don't recall if you are forced to lead each round individually or if you can use the magazine of a repeating rifle. If the range made you single-load, there's enough time for that.

So what to bring?

If you have a good rifle scope, you probably don't need a spotting scope.

Unless you have a friend willing to spot for you... in which case you can have this person man the spotting scope just behind you and help tell you where your shot landed, maybe to include WHAT PART OF THE ANIMAL you hit, if you didn't hit it dead-center. The spotter coach can also advise you on wind conditions as they change in just seconds.

You'll be standing, so have a plan to hold your magazines / ammo on your body without bending over. Or you can set up a waist-high stool or tray to hold your stuff.

For any outdoor match at Riverbend in the summer, bring a cooler with drinks, a towel to wipe the sweat of your hands and face and neck. Bug spray and sunscreen. Dress for the outdoors.

I'd come armed with a "cheat sheet" of notes regarding how many clicks you'll need to re-zero your rifle for all of the various distances required in the match. Usually 40 yards, 60 yards, 77 yards, and 100 yards. Or meters? I forget.
But, you should actually TEST your gun with the ammo that YOU will use in the match. Don't just research the bullet drop and scope adjustment question online.

The best shooters say to use standard velocity ammo, for the sake of accuracy, rather than high velocity ammo for its greater knockdown power.

Thanks to all for the replies. I do not have the proper dope for the guns I’ll take but my ability to hit anything standing is limited so not sure it’d matter. I’ll take a couple different scoped rifles and may even convince one of my daughters to try it out.

Thanks to all for the replies. I do not have the proper dope for the guns I’ll take but my ability to hit anything standing is limited so not sure it’d matter. I’ll take a couple different scoped rifles and may even convince one of my daughters to try it out.
thats what I would do.If you enjoy then add to the fold

Back
Top Bottom