Ruger American pistol

See previous post for how the gun feels, but right now it's RANGE REPORT TIME.... It came in yesterday for review with some goodies along with it (blade tech holster and some other swag). The pistol felt natural in the hand, it's about the size of a Glock 17 with the weight of a Ruger P series. Controls fell exactly where they needed to be with hand placement. The gun comes with 3 interchangeable back straps to give that custom hand fitment, it felt perfect with the medium back strap that came on the gun, so I didn't change it, also comes with 2 mags. Came in to the shop this morning grabbed a few targets and walked into the range. Range temp was 52 degrees ffahrenheit. Test ammo used was Sellier & Bellot 115 grain 9MM FMJ and Magtech 124 grain 9mm FMJ loaded up a mag of each. The gun came out of the box from the factory and straight into the range, didn't clean it nor did I lube it. Set up my targets and ran them out to 15 yards. With a full mag the already heavy, yet balanced gun felt even more balanced than before. First up was the Sellier and Bellot, racked the slide and took my stance. First shot was to the 4 inches to the left and down 3 inches, not bad, adjusted hold 2nd shot 3 inches left and down 2 inches, adjusted again and 3rd shot dead center. Held the position and continued to dump the rest of the mag right into the X mark on the target. Overall grouping once I figured the gun out was 2 1/4 group. Changed mags to the Magtech ammo and put up a new target. Took the stance and continued to dump another mag right through the X ring on target producing a 2 3/4 group. It was almost boring how accurate it was with little effort. The trigger has a long somewhat heavy take up to a clean break with very little over travel. The reset is very far out almost to the end of stroke but didn't really notice it a bunch, only when I was making a conscious effort to think about it. Overall my impression was its a smooth shooting gun very little felt recoil and is easy to reset quickly and pick up the sights for quick follow up shots, I can easily get over the trigger, as it seemed to smooth out even more throughout the day, shooting it and going through dry fire drills with it yet i can only now complain about the reset being so far out. Not a single FTF FTE the gun just ran. Overall I think Ruger made a 3 base run on the new American, It has some what I'd consider flaws before I'd give it home run status, mainly the trigger but its much better than some of their other failed excuses of a trigger and with a little tweaking could probably be a very good trigger. The weight seems rather heavy for a carry gun remember almost P Series heavy it feels like, but a good gun belt and holster would solve that problem. The ergonomics of the gun are outstanding and very natural feeling, The overall machining looks great and the gun looks and feels very well built. Overall I think i'd rate the gun 4 out of 5. Its price point coming in a low to mid 400's make it a great option for many different shooters of all levels, from plinking to defense to even competition I feel like its a versatile platform that would be able to perform and exceed most expectations of most shooters. We have a few currently in stock at Bullseye in Lawrenceville for starting at $439.99 + tax as well as the one that was sent for review to test fire to see how you like it free of charge (5 rounds or cost of a box of ammo if you decided to shoot more).

Last edited:
Excellent review, H HuckleberryFinn ! Thanks for taking the time to type out such a detailed review. I wish I lived closer to your shop, I'd love to shoot it and talk shop.

Thank you sir! Gonna spend a few more days with it and write a full review for the firearms review web sight I collaborate with, If you ever come out this way let me know! I've got tons of toys we can play with!

Last edited:
At first I was kind of excited about this pistol but after watching this review I'm not so excited anymore... this guy confirmed my concerns about the squared off part where the web of your hand would go. I think Ruger could have done better.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wish manufacturers would off versions without the clunky snaggy rails on the front of the frame. I'm never putting anything on a pistol and they make guns look clunky.

This looks fantastic. I always expected an SR-9 w/o a safety, but not a whole new line.

If the worst that can be said about it is a too-wide tail I think it'll sell really well. Low cost, accurate, Ruger reliability, good trigger. It may not be pretty, but it's sure better looking than the 'ergo' Walther/H&K look we're seeing lately.

This will definitely sell well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom