• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

S&W Model 13-2

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
Also known as the Military and Police Magnum, Model 13. The M&P is a K frame that came with thick, 3"-4" heavy barrel, 6 shot all steel revolver chambered in .357 magnum. The model 13 started production in 1973 but has since been discontinued.

This sample a blued 13-2 with walnut grips started life as a security or prison guards sidearm. It was carried a lot of years with 1/3 of the bluing worn off and some minor rusting. The right side walnut grips were worn smooth. I picked this gun up for a very reasonable price with a frequent buyer discount. The internals are crisp and the gun locks up like a vice. After several months and several shooting sessions with .38 spl and .357 magnum reloads, I decided to spruce it up a bit.

I removed the worn grips then lightly sanded off what little varnish was left. I used steel wool to smooth out the grain then I used Tung oil and applied light successive coats with early steel wool between coats, progressing to just coats of Tung oil with hand rubbing for a final finish. I gave the gun to Steve Parsons of old iron works in Griffin, GA and he proceeded to re-blue the Smith. I just got it back yesterday.

The good:

Solid remarkably reliable revolver that is very durable (fixed sights)
These were well known to be very accurate and this one is no exception
Ability to shoot a variety of ammo: .38 SPL, .38+P and .357 MAG
Carries well in contrast to an N frame.
Blued steel and American walnut
Appreciates in value
Good stock trigger

The bad:

With factory grips recoil is a bit uncomfortable with .357 MAG
For carry it's on the heavy side when compared to todays options
A nice example is costly with prices well over $400

These pistols have a great history and were very well made inside and out. They are an outstanding fighting revolver and will give years of use to most shooters and handed down through the decades.

Pics!
i55.tinypic.com_2jfhpw0.jpg

i56.tinypic.com_2h73sye.jpg

i53.tinypic.com_dwavbk.jpg

i39.tinypic.com_2s7gy2v.jpg

i40.tinypic.com_2rqm6if.jpg

i43.tinypic.com_n1zbea.jpg

i44.tinypic.com_2n6ua0j.jpg

Last edited:
The bluing looks great. Please give me some contact info on "old iron works" I'd like to find a local refinisher with good references.

And thanks for the review of one of S&W's lesser known.

Steve is a nice fellow that has a small work shop at his home. His wife does wood work-refinishing and he does the metal work. Thanks for the positive replies.

i44.tinypic.com_2lco7m.jpg

Last edited:
He does awesome work and is a very nice guy. My Remington 700 I had listed that was cut down and threaded was done by him. Very Professional.

Back
Top Bottom