• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So...how much AMMO is TOO much ammo???

I think your numbers are reasonable except for the semi auto -why do you want so much more ammo for the semi automatic gun (1200 rounds) than any of your other types of guns?

Are you planning on going to war and having multiple gun battles?
Do you think you'll survive the first gun battle?
I don't think you need more than 300 rounds for any of your guns,
and that would anticipate shooting maybe 100 rounds in hostilities, at the most,
and the other 200 rounds would be used to keep your skills proficient,
maybe shooting 50 rounds a year over a four-year period during these dark ages.
50 rds a year is not doing anything to maintain proficiency, much less improvement

Depends on how much you shoot. More shooting means more ammo. And, if stored correctly, it only appreciates in value. If you move around alot it's a pain, but besides that, you can't have to much.

Wow, I think people are misunderstanding the original question/scenario. Outdoorsman87 stated how much ammo should one keep for pure storage until SHTF (not used for plinking, training, maintaining, or hunting).
What he means is bare minimum (untouched ammo)?
He might/will have more rounds for plinking, training, maintaining, or hunting, but he wants to know what other people's minimum round count are.

Outdoorsman87, your current numbers look good.
My numbers are a tiny bit more than your....I like to roundup to 500 or 1000 per firearm. I don't like number like 200 or 1200.
Again, this is my minimum...I have a lot more, but if I used up the extra ammo and I can't get anymore, I am not using my minimums. They are there for emergency situations.

Buy low keep forever. No such thing as too much ammo.
When I was a member at River Bend Gun Club I use to think a 1000 rounds per caliber. It was nothing to go up there and run a few 100 rounds through two guns of the same caliber. During the first ammo shortage I though that was short. There is ammo to be had if you really need it. However if you have 15 different calibers of guns I wouldn't want to have 15000 caps laying around.

Wow, I think people are misunderstanding the original question/scenario. Outdoorsman87 stated how much ammo should one keep for pure storage until SHTF (not used for plinking, training, maintaining, or hunting).
What he means is bare minimum (untouched ammo)?
He might/will have more rounds for plinking, training, maintaining, or hunting, but he wants to know what other people's minimum round count are.

Outdoorsman87, your current numbers look good.
My numbers are a tiny bit more than your....I like to roundup to 500 or 1000 per firearm. I don't like number like 200 or 1200.
Again, this is my minimum...I have a lot more, but if I used up the extra ammo and I can't get anymore, I am not using my minimums. They are there for emergency situations.

I understood what he meant. I would think several thousand rounds per rifle like 3-5k per gun.

There's a few ways to look at this question.

If you're thinking you'll never have to move, I like a par level of 3K rnds per caliber or 2k per gun/shooting member of the family. My hunting rifle ammo runs about 200 rnds because I try and buy a case at a time for the same lot numbers and lasts me for many years. A hunting rifle will not be a part of my load out if if ever comes to that.
If you're on the move you'll want as much as you can carry so choose your firearm carefully. There's several reasons Uncle Sam went from 7.63 to 5.56 and weight part of it, but the reality is 9mm weighs less that 45ACP and 22LR is less than 9mm, you'll feel it on a road march.

If you're really serious about SHTF stuff, you can always stash ammo along your bug out route too.

Back
Top Bottom