• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So I've got this older Remington Model 11....

JimmyJet

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
19   0
Reaction score
I have this Remington Model 11 "Sportsman" 20 gauge from the 1930s that my grandfather left to me when he died in 1955 that has always functioned flawlessly in the past. After having not fired it in 45+ years I decided to pick up a some boxes of new shells and take it with me when my son, son-in-law and I went clay shooting a few months back. I had numerous FTE issues with the gun to the point that I gave up trying to use it as it was too frustrating to deal with. Comparing the new ammo to some that I knew had been purchased in 1973, I see quite a contrast. This leads me to ask of the "collective braintrust"...

1. Do any of you have an older shotgun that has not had any parts replaced and had operational difficulty with the shells manufactured in recent years?
2. Would I likely see an improvement by replacing the ejector on my Remington? (IF the part is available)
3. Are there other ammo brands that might have a thicker metal rim on the casing? It would appear the older (red) shell in the photo has more metal...

For any that may say I should just sell the gun (to them) to eliminate the problem... I will tell ya now THAT won't happen...LOL

DSC_0103.JPG
DSC_0106.JPG
IMG_9970.jpg

I have seen multiple guns that did not function with low brass round, yet they would run flawlessly with high brass. I have a franchi that has this problem. Try to find some high brass shells and see if that helps.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I have seen multiple guns that did not function with low brass round, yet they would run flawlessly with high brass. I have a franchi that has this problem. Try to find some high brass shells and see if that helps.

Can you explain the term "high brass" you are using?....not real certain what you mean by that....thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's an old term used to describe the height of the brass. The two shells you posted would be described as a high brass (red) and a low brass (yellow). The low brass usually has a lower powder charge and the result may be that it will not have enough power to cycle the action. In my franchise, it caused it to jam because the action was not moving fast enough to eject one shell before the action started back forward .

That looks very much like a Model 11 I had once. If so, it has a friction ring that needs adjusting and sometimes tlc to get the cycling right for different loads.

Good luck.

You are correct in saying it’s a Model 11...I forgot that...mine (as I recall researching before) is an "11D"....I’ll go back and edit my post as well...

It's an old term used to describe the height of the brass. The two shells you posted would be described as a high brass (red) and a low brass (yellow). The low brass usually has a lower powder charge and the result may be that it will not have enough power to cycle the action. In my franchise, it caused it to jam because the action was not moving fast enough to eject one shell before the action started back forward .

Thanks for explaining that...I was guessing that was what was meant...but now I know...

That looks very much like a Model 11 I had once. If so, it has a friction ring that needs adjusting and sometimes tlc to get the cycling right for different loads.

Manual: https://www.remington.com/sites/default/files/Model 11.pdf
How to:

Good luck.

That video is VERY enlightening....I never knew that about my shotgun and I’ve been shooting/cleaning it since 1959! It’s always good to learn something "new"...and THAT'S what I LOVE about being on ODT!

Back
Top Bottom