• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suppressing 5.56 what gas system

jeepnuts

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Rockcrawlin’ Toyota Dude
141   0
Reaction score
Hey gurus

I recently started the wait on a wolfman and my intention was to get it for direct thread and run it on a 357 lever gun.

Well my FFL had the wolfman key micro kit which comes with a muzzle brake and the qd part. I picked up a direct thread rear cap as well.

I went in with no intention of running AR suppressed but this can will run it out of the box so why not?

So this opens a new can of worms for me since my old AR is a 16” carbine length gas system. Quick searches online seems like mid length may be a better choice. What do you guys think?

Btw, i want to keep it a rifle. the micro brake only adds 1.4” of length so it needs to be a 14.7 or 16 barrel.

I know some will say do 300blk but I have tons of 5.56

some will say piston, some will say depends on components you use, I’ve always used lmt enchanced bcg and griffin armament ar-sob buffer for suppressed shooting with geissele charging handle, I’ve used both carbine and mid length, I think I have a mid length on 12.5 upper

My recipe is lmt enhanced carrier, h3 buffer, Geissele super42, pri gas buster CH.

Very reliable, and no extra “moving parts”.

Carbine or mid length depending on barrel length. Smallest gas port as possible. I have a few BRT gas tubes I am going to start playing with. I avoid adjustable gas blocks and carriers.

Superlative gas block works on any gas length. I vent mine forward to help control the gas. The newer cans are reduced pressure cans which generally reduce the gas in the face. The Wolfman may not be one of those.

I try to only stick with mid length systems on an AR thats DI. My preferred is a 11.5" middy with a PRI gas buster. 16" with a mid gas system has very little gas issues with my can and setup.

I run a pws 11.85" upper suppressed. pistons rock. also run a 11.5" BCM DI upper...It suppresses nice as well. it is carbine length. also run an 18" centurion mk12 barrel suppressed...rifle length gas.

I run lighter buffer(a5h1) on the 18" heavy on the 11.5"...same buffer on the piston upper(a5h3).

I REALLY feel like an A5 length receiver extension with A5 buffers smooths out a suppressed AR...well any AR really.

I will have to let you know what I think. I just went down the whole rabbit whole the other night and literally have idk 1600$ in parts for various things in the transit now. To do just what you are asking. I have a wolfman that was a direct thread only when I got it for my Stribog (9mm). And was like pshhhhhh this can handle 5.56 and 300blk just fine.... So I have all the QD and brakes/flashhiders and such on the way now. You'll have to wait for me to get them next week and then fiddle with it all. I'll let you know what I got and using and what I think of it all. No 300blk yet... but ammo and muzzle device for it. So I guess I have to make a upper for it?

I will have to let you know what I think. I just went down the whole rabbit whole the other night and literally have idk 1600$ in parts for various things in the transit now. To do just what you are asking. I have a wolfman that was a direct thread only when I got it for my Stribog (9mm). And was like pshhhhhh this can handle 5.56 and 300blk just fine.... So I have all the QD and brakes/flashhiders and such on the way now. You'll have to wait for me to get them next week and then fiddle with it all. I'll let you know what I got and using and what I think of it all. No 300blk yet... but ammo and muzzle device for it. So I guess I have to make a upper for it?
I’m thinking about starting with the ruger 300 ranch to get back into 300. Bolt guns are super quiet and fun. I would put a key micro on it for qd

But my adapter parts collection is growing as well even though the can is still in jail. I bought the wolfman with the key micro kit and put the brake on my AR. I picked up the 5/8 direct thread adapter for my 357 lever gun. I picked up a piston and all that assembly with a 1/2x28 and a griffin armament barrel for my Glock

Back
Top Bottom