• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Taurus 605 357 Magnum

Sharps40

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
I recently went out to the range with my mother. We bought her a Taurus 605 Stainless 357 Mag and myself a similar blued model. Both handguns got quite a workout at 15 meters with a variety of handloaded 38 Specials (158g LSWC and 125g JHP) and 357 Mag (125g JHP). Mom had a ball, her round count was upwards of 300 in the Stainless gun while I shot about 150 rounds in my blue weapon.

First impressions are very good - Mom is 69, 5'4" and a real fire ball, she loves this Taurus! She let Dad fire it once around the cylinder then told him to give it back and go shoot his Glock. This is a small, relatively light handgun holding 5 rounds and equipped with rubber grips and fixed sights. At 15 meters, the heavy and light bullets are pretty much on the money left/right and about 1 inch low. I suspect moving back further would show some spread in point of impact. Neither gun got as hot as my S&W Model 66-3 when shooting 357 Magnum and that came as a suprize. The trigger pulls are smooth and range about 8 to 10 lbs in Double Action mode. As indicated with the range report on the Taurus 44 Special, these guns would likely benefit from a reduced power trigger return spring but they were very much smoother in operation than the Taurus 44 Special snub. The cylinder rotation is not so jerkey in the first half of the pull. Again, they are easy enough to stack the trigger and then realign to let off as the front sight passes the bullseye. The stainless model had a slight burr on the crown which got shot smooth by Mom during the range session. The crown on the barrel of these weapons is rather flat (not recessed). As such, you'll have to be a bit more careful about bumping the muzzle to prevent damage. However, it's easy enough to smooth up the crown with some valve grinding compound and a brass ball or screw head. The new Taurus handguns come with a locking screw built into the hammer. I was worried it would back out and tie up the gun. No worries, it won't back out. But, don't loose the key, if you ever back it out to lock the gun for storage, a standard allen wrench will not work to release the lock. Opinion: If you are looking for a reliable and accurate CCW, the 5 round Model 605 can fill the bill with plenty of power and versatility without breaking the bank. They are not quite as refined as a S&W or Colt, but they don't cost $800 either. Our family is comfortable relying on Taurus.

Last edited:
I agree that they are worth the money paid for them. If I had to say it would be my only revolver, then I could honestly do so. It is with a great warranty, too. There is one in the house and we are happy with it.

I will concur. I carry a 605 daily. It's a bit heavy for front pocket carry but the weight makes a world of difference when shooting. I recently shot a backup gun (read pocket style gun) match and was pleasantly surprized with the accuracy at distances out to 20 yards. I personally don't care for the recoil with .357 Magnums in such a small package. I shot .+P .38 Specials in the match and would not feel at a disadvantage at all given the limitations of the design.

Wheeler

The Taurus 605 is a great gun. I sold mine four years ago and used the cash to buy a different gun and regretted selling it. I had bought mine new in '98, when the trigger was forged, instead of stamped, and it didn't have the integrated security lock on the hammer. The stamped trigger is what everyone uses now, since all of our better steel gets shipped to China (a whole other subject for a separate forum).

You will enjoy the 605. Try a Winchester 110 grain .357 bullet, it always seemed most accurate for me.

The stamped trigger is not too bad and holds up well enough. Taurus makes metal injection molded parts for their guns and is a major supplier of MIM parts for a number of Big Name American gun manufacturers. Really what these revolvers need is a bit of a tune up. A light polish of the recesses in the frame and side plate, a set of Wolf springs (hammer and trigger return or sometimes just the trigger return spring) and a bit of Action Majic (moly powder on the parts) and you'd be suprised. If the hammer has a bit of play, S&W hammer shims or home made hammer shims (think thin metal washers) on either side of the hammer will stabilize things and lead to a very repeatable let off. If it sounds like a lot for an inexpensive gun, just remember the same work is put on a S&W to make it smoother. Most of the late model Smiths don't have triggers like they did in the 70s and benefit from the same work. My late model Smiths leave a lot to be desired in the fit/finish department compared to the older ones. As such, I don't mind slicking up a Taurus a bit, the whole platform is less $$ tuned than a Smith is new anyway. I suspect I just touched a nerve for Smith fans, but I'm one too, so figure I can call it the way I see it.

My first revolver was a little 605 that I bought to carry SOB during the summer, since my Glock 23 was too big for light clothes carry. Great little gun...very accurate...and easy enough to shoot even with .357 loads.

I ended up trading mine for my Taurus 608 that I hunt with to this day, so I don't exactly regret getting rid of it.

Now I carry a S&W pre-lock M37...and it's no where near as easy to shoot accurately as the 605 was. But it also doesn't pull my pants down during front pocket carry either :p And it looks really cool when photographed along side my 386 that I usually carry...;)

But for the $$$...you can't beat a 605 for a carry piece.

A busy evening. I just finished putting new wolf springs in this one and the Mod 85 listed on the reviews board. Very similar and satisfying results as written up on the Taurus Snub 44. This 605 finished out 9 pounds double action and just under 3 lbs single action.

I owned one of these lil' guys for all of about a week and a half. Only put 150 rounds through it, but it was a joy to shoot! The heft of it was just enough to make .357 Magnum bearable, and .38 Special was a walk in the park. Sold it to ensure that I had enough money for books this semester, but I have a feeling I'll be the proud owner of another one in the future.

any of you guys shoot the poly 605? just wondering what the recoil would be like in those light models....
I carry the Poly all the time and have put about 50 rounds through it. It shoots great! IMO not much more recoil that the all steel, feels real good in your hand. Only complaint, was one of the trigger screws came loose and had a little trouble rotating the cylinder. But once I figured out the problem, put some blue thread lock on it and tightened it down, all is good. I guess the Taurus thread lock guy was off his game that day. Oh yeah! it came with a red fiber optic front site, but I changed mine to the green fiber optic. Just because!

Back
Top Bottom