• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The 06’

Wudee

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
178   0
Reaction score

Interesting vid on the 30-06. Hunted with the 06’ since I was 15 until I made the switch to a muzzleloader. Never lost a single deer I hit with it. What’s the ODT’s thoughts on it?

First deer rifle was a 7mm magnum. My buddy shot one deer with a 30-06 I had and it broke in half a 2 1/2 sapling behind the deer when the deer fell on it DRT.

That being said I prefer the 308 with roughly 200-300 FPS slower bullet.

Interesting vid on the 30-06. Hunted with the 06’ since I was 15 until I made the switch to a muzzleloader. Never lost a single deer I hit with it. What’s the ODT’s thoughts on it?
That guy has a lot of knowledge.

Started out with 30-06 in the 70's, then thought I'd be more cool by trying out all the fancy short mags and newfangled calibers. After losing deer to a couple of them, I'm back with the tried and true 30-06 again. Like another poster stated, I've never lost a deer with a 150 gr. Core Lokt and Power Point loads. No need to complicate things because alot of times it won't work...........

The 30-06 has a lot of versatility. Enough case capacity to lob very heavy bullets, or can be loaded with light, really fast bullets. That's what keeps it around. Plus it's a good deer hammer at the ranges typically encountered.

My dad fed my family with a Remington 742 chambered in 30-06 for 30 years. Light, short barrel, semi-auto. Soft recoil (for a 30-06), accurate enough. Great gun for woods hunting.

People would tell him "Man, that rifle is overkill for whitetails", to which he would respond "Overkill? I didn't know you could kill them more than once."

Plus, a lot of folks like saying "Aught 6"; it's less syllables than "three-O-eight"

Back
Top Bottom