• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info
Gonna crack this one open tomorrow night.

View attachment 7065536

Anyone tried it? What did you think?
Tried their gin and rye when i first moved out to ga and both were so bad (borderline dumpers) I haven't given them another chance.

Also heard they have been doing sketchy **** with production, sourcing labeling and possibly borderline adulterating their whiskey via charging.

Tried their gin and rye when i first moved out to ga and both were so bad (borderline dumpers) I haven't given them another chance.

Also heard they have been doing sketchy **** with production, sourcing labeling and possibly borderline adulterating their whiskey via charging.

What a literal buzzkill. I really liked their bourbon, so my palate must not be the greatest.

I wasn’t impressed with the Moonrise Distillery’s stuff (Rabun County) but I saw several different types of their bourbon in the package store today. Anybody tried some of their newer versions?

Guy in front of me bought two bottles of Weller’s 10 for about $130 each. I got the Fiddler’s toasted for $75’ish.

So many new names in bourbon. I may have to stick with Scotch.

What a literal buzzkill. I really liked their bourbon, so my palate must not be the greatest.

I wasn’t impressed with the Moonrise Distillery’s stuff (Rabun County) but I saw several different types of their bourbon in the package store today. Anybody tried some of their newer versions?

Guy in front of me bought two bottles of Weller’s 10 for about $130 each. I got the Fiddler’s toasted for $75’ish.

Fiddler's toasted is great imo

Everyone has their own tastes and what they like and don't like in a bourbon. I wasn't impressed with 13th colony, but many people are. I personally don't like Russell's Reserve at all, but again, lots of people rave about it.

It's up to you if you think a bottle is good.

Hey if you enjoy it and think it's good value go ahead and drink it, don't let someone else's tastes or snobbery tell you what you should like. Our palates are all different and get shaped based off our experiences/journey too it's been a long time now but I like spicy, grainy ryes and I think I found their stuff to herby/vegetal/eucalyptus (a flavor profile I also abhor in wine). Maybe I got a bad bottle or batch, or maybe they've gotten a lot better, just there's so many player's in the market right now I don't think there's always something else for me to try or pick up a bottle I've been looking for.

I will say I didn't know of the "controversy" around them till a couple months ago but I did feel like there stuff was way too dark for how young it was, and they are probably doing something that is technically permitted but against the spirit of purists to get it there.

I liked 13th Colony's bourbon too. Everyone's palate is different. Just because you don't like something that is popular doesn't mean yours is bad. A lot of people claim to love Buffalo Trace stuff. I've had most of their lower priced offerings and a couple of their higher priced ones and the only one I didn't completely hate was Blanton's. I'd rather pour them down the drain than drink another sip of any Buffalo Trace products.

I didn't mind the red label Moonrise Distillery, I think it's their 5 year aged. I do think it would be a lot better with another 3-5 years of age on it. I definitely would not buy their 4 yr after trying the 5 and I can't imagine 1 extra year and higher proof making their 6yr cask strength that much better. If they release something aged for at least 8 years at some point, I would definitely try it.

No feathers ruffled. I’m perturbed that they aren’t completely honest in their advertising.

I like the taste of 13th Colony, and may keep buying it, but dislike obfuscation and misinformation.

I also am not impressed with Buffalo Trace. And I like “grassy” ryes, like 95% rye mash. Different palates. Like string peat flavors in Scotch, some like it, some don’t.

Tasted the Fiddler and it’s a keeper. Not overly troasted in flavor. Initial bouquet was not flowery, almost astringent. But flavor is good. Body is good. Aftertaste is pleasant.

Ok, had the 13th Colony after working in the yard.

Probably not a good evaluation because I was thirsty and I had it with a single cube of ice. It was good with a cigar.

Would I seek it out? Jury's out. I need to taste it neat when I didn't just come in from yard work.

Ok, had the 13th Colony after working in the yard.

Probably not a good evaluation because I was thirsty and I had it with a single cube of ice. It was good with a cigar.

Would I seek it out? Jury's out. I need to taste it neat when I didn't just come in from yard work.
Don't you got kids to do that kind of stuff?

My newest acquisitions
PXL_20240330_002901964.jpg

Have to say I prefer the Sherry Finish between these two. The cask strength is just a little too spicy for my taste. Neither one holds a candle to the Double Oak in my opinion, but they are quite good.

The Sherry Finish I dont mind holding on to, but the Cask Strength needs to find a new home cause it's just going to gather dust in my cabinet.

Back
Top Bottom