• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Those of you with suppressors...

Was your suppressor worth it?

• hell yeah!

• I guess

• nope

• I was told there would be cake...

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've never owned a personal suppressor and I have some rookie questions.
  1. Once it's been acquired, if you wish to, how do you sell it or otherwise get rid of it legally if you choose to do so?
  2. What happens to it if you die?

Let me see if I can remember this all correctly.

You can sell it to anyone in your state on a form 4. When they are approved by the atf, you give it to them. There really isn't a market for used suppressors though. It's bad enough trusting a dealer during the long waiting period, I wouldn't trust a stranger at all.

You can sell to someone out of state, but it has to transfer to an ffl on a form 3, and then to the buyer on a form 4. Nobody is going to do that unless it's some unobtanium suppressor with historic value.

When you die, it can be transferred to your heir on a form 5. Otherwise a call to the ATF will be in order, and they take it. But that is if it is not in a trust.

Reactions: GFB
how I handled my first suppressors(Still in jail). I bought a dead air mask for rimfire. At that time they were THE best rimfire can. My second choice was the rugged oculas. My current top three that I’d choose would be

1. DA Mask
2. Otter creek labs Titanium
3. Rugged occulas

For My second can I wanted a solid 45acp can so I could shoot basically anything 45acp down to 22. Well I stumbled upon a AAC Tirant 45 for a steal of a deal so I grabbed that up 10 days after I bought my DA Mask. Both still in jail (168 and 158 days now) so I’m hoping they’ll be out of jail by end of Feb.

I will likely pick up an OCL Titanium this year though.

Just submitted for my trust to be drafted. Whats the word for 30 cal cans now? Seen a few recent posts about the new DA manufacturer having QC issues. I was interested in a Sandman S to go on my deer rifle. Other considerations are the Hux (OSS) 7.62 or Banish 30. Ive been out of the loop on NFA items for a few years so I may not be aware of something newer/ better.
Sandman was never designed to be quiet or light weight. It's a can you beat the **** out of. For a deer rifle, Id go Polo 30, Hydrogen S, Nomad, or another can of those flavors.

I wouldnt worry about the DA stuff. It was KGM made cans, and all new DA cans are showing DA as the manf. I have done probably 40ish Saandmen that people have taken home 2022-2023, none have explpoded, and everyone has been happy with them, provided they knew they were getting a heavy, hard use, beatable to **** can. If you want to jump on the expedited Form 4 bandwagon, I am notifying ATF of closure soon.

Sandman was never designed to be quiet or light weight. It's a can you beat the **** out of. For a deer rifle, Id go Polo 30, Hydrogen S, Nomad, or another can of those flavors.

I wouldnt worry about the DA stuff. It was KGM made cans, and all new DA cans are showing DA as the manf. I have done probably 40ish Saandmen that people have taken home 2022-2023, none have explpoded, and everyone has been happy with them, provided they knew they were getting a heavy, hard use, beatable to **** can. If you want to jump on the expedited Form 4 bandwagon, I am notifying ATF of closure soon.
I have liked the nomad since they came out also. Never heard of the other two you suggested. I’ll check them out.

Let me see if I can remember this all correctly.

You can sell it to anyone in your state on a form 4. When they are approved by the atf, you give it to them. There really isn't a market for used suppressors though. It's bad enough trusting a dealer during the long waiting period, I wouldn't trust a stranger at all.

You can sell to someone out of state, but it has to transfer to an ffl on a form 3, and then to the buyer on a form 4. Nobody is going to do that unless it's some unobtanium suppressor with historic value.

When you die, it can be transferred to your heir on a form 5. Otherwise a call to the ATF will be in order, and they take it. But that is if it is not in a trust.
Close - You missed the F4 to transfer it to a dealer who can then F3 it to a dealer in the other state who will F4 it to the new owner.

Unless it's something super rare, valuable, or being given away, selling cans out of state is rarely worth the extra F4.

what was the Sandman designed for, is it not a suppressor?

what was the Sandman designed for, is it not a suppressor?
Yes it’s a suppressor. It puts hard use over actual sound suppression. It’s designed to be used and abused. If you are using a can for hunting, you’d probably prioritize weight, repeatability, and sound suppression over hard use, this there are better cans for that particular application than a sandman.

Back
Top Bottom