• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

use 45lc data for 44 mag target loads???

DEATH6669MONGER

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
3   0
Reaction score
ive got a ton of berrys 44cal 240 gr plated hollowpoint projectiles.ive loaded them to magnum velocites(before seeing the warning not to)and they seemed fine except one projectile grenaded right in front of the target. that was cool but not safe im sure. i was thinking of just using 45colt data to make a easy load for my friends when i take them to the range since none of them like the heavy recoil of the 629. what do you guys think?

If you want a good target load for the 44 mag with plated bullets use the 44 special load using 2400.

I have been using this load for my lead and plated bullets for over 40 years.

I like to use 2400 in large cases like 44mag and 45lc.

Get a copy of the LYMAN manual.
Use the info for a cast bullet minus 5% or so.
Should come up with something nice to shoot.
I use the LYMAN 429421 bullet and 10gr of HS6 for a target light load.

Tom

There are a lot of ways to get a load for light 44mag. I believe that your way will work. It seems more appropriate to use the 44 special data, but your way does look for loads based on large case volume.

I have a jug of Trail Boss and it works great for what you are trying to achieve. Red Dot, Unique, Universal, and Tite Group will all work. I would go with Universal or Trail Boss. Red Dot and Unique are dirty. Tite Group is so dense that it is easy to double charge a 44mag.

Case volume is why I use 2400. When I first started loading 45lc I used 231 and it was not accurte. The shots were all over the paper. I had a thought that it was such a small amount of powder in a large case. I deceided to use my 2400 44 mag target load in the 45lc. The results were great, tight groups.

Second what 1006 said. You should be fine using lead bullet data for plated bullets. Do not over crimp though,. I use 7.5 to 8 grains of Unique with 240 grain bullets in .44 mag cases with good results.

Back
Top Bottom