• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Want to hunt - need some guidance

Lots of good advice so far.

When I started hunting, I had absolutely no idea what to do and spent a lot of years learning the "hard way". Here are some things I did to speed up the learning curve.

1). Hang out at the check station on WMA's after your done hunting, you'll meet other hunters who can direct you to better areas on the WMA and give you some tips - Some rangers too are great sources of info. Ask lots of questions

2). Find a few experienced hunters at church, ODT, or the gun range and go hunt with experienced hunters. You will learn so much faster with an experienced hunter to guide you

3). Read a lot of hunting magazines, blogs and watch TV hunting shows....sure you'll have to weed through a lot of advertising hype, but you'll also get lots of good info.

4). Invest in a hunting lease with good people. My hunting learning curve and success accelerated more rapidly on a lease with other experienced hunters, plus visiting the same land consistently really helped me learn where the deer are and how and when they move.

5). A good deer stand or two are critical to maximize success also knowing where to place them.

6). Spent a lot of time scouting pre season- know where you want to go - know specifically where you want to hunt weeks before you actually hunt. On the days you hunt it's important to be there before the sun comes up.

7). Spend a lot of time in the field... The land and the woods will teach you, but it's a slow process that takes time- learn patience- find a good place and sit. Too many in-experienced hunters tromp through the woods making a lot of noise and wonder why they never see any deer.

8). Read and understand the rules and regs they will keep you safe and legal.

9) Learn to enjoy the time in the field and the woods- harvesting a deer is secondary. I became a much better hunter when I learned that! my drive and anxiousness to get a deer- made me move too much- make too much noise and I know I would have been more successful sooner if I would have just sat and enjoyed spending time in the woods.

9). Make sure you accurate with your rifle. Spend time in good practice and try and simulate mentally with shooting a deer- at the range use your imagination and some push-ups to get your heart rate and and adrenaline going and focus on steadying your hand and squeezing the trigger. Breathe slowly, aim small. Also know where to shoot a deer- nothing worse then injuring an animal and never finding it.

10 Have fun- Hunting is good therapy for your mind body and soul.

Don't restrict yourself to just the WMAs. There is a ton of National Forest land that is outside of the WMAs.

forest.jpg

Others have said it, but I'll say it again. Read and study the regs.

Between WMA, NF, NWR hunts you'll have a whole season to hunt several places.
I can give you some info for NWR land or WMA. I've hunted a few. PM me if you want me to point you in the right direction.
In the meantime, call Piedmont NWR and request the quota hunt applications for their quota hunts.
Fill one out nearly and correctly and return it to their office.
When they draw names, they'll notify you either way. I know of several good spots there. There's 34,000 acres to hunt, so you may find a spot that you like better.
Piedmont Natl Wildlife Refuge(478) 986-5441
Call Mon-Fri.

Hey ODT,
I wanted to finally pop my hunting cherry this season, but from the few people I've talked to they've said stay off WMAs.
I wanted to see what you guys thought , where some good WMAs were for deer and hog, or maybe there's a club I could join for my first few hunts. I was probably going to run a savage 308 I have for both hog and deer.

Thanks in advance.
NOW IS A GREAT TIME TO SCOUT,LOTS OF THE WMA ARE OPEN FOR HOGS NOW, SO GET OUT THERE,REMEMBER YOUR BUG SPRAY,TICKS ARE BAD THIS YEAR. GO SCOUT NOW, GOOD LUCK

Lots of good advice so far.

When I started hunting, I had absolutely no idea what to do and spent a lot of years learning the "hard way". Here are some things I did to speed up the learning curve.

1). Hang out at the check station on WMA's after your done hunting, you'll meet other hunters who can direct you to better areas on the WMA and give you some tips - Some rangers too are great sources of info. Ask lots of questions

2). Find a few experienced hunters at church, ODT, or the gun range and go hunt with experienced hunters. You will learn so much faster with an experienced hunter to guide you

3). Read a lot of hunting magazines, blogs and watch TV hunting shows....sure you'll have to weed through a lot of advertising hype, but you'll also get lots of good info.

4). Invest in a hunting lease with good people. My hunting learning curve and success accelerated more rapidly on a lease with other experienced hunters, plus visiting the same land consistently really helped me learn where the deer are and how and when they move.

5). A good deer stand or two are critical to maximize success also knowing where to place them.

6). Spent a lot of time scouting pre season- know where you want to go - know specifically where you want to hunt weeks before you actually hunt. On the days you hunt it's important to be there before the sun comes up.

7). Spend a lot of time in the field... The land and the woods will teach you, but it's a slow process that takes time- learn patience- find a good place and sit. Too many in-experienced hunters tromp through the woods making a lot of noise and wonder why they never see any deer.

8). Read and understand the rules and regs they will keep you safe and legal.

9) Learn to enjoy the time in the field and the woods- harvesting a deer is secondary. I became a much better hunter when I learned that! my drive and anxiousness to get a deer- made me move too much- make too much noise and I know I would have been more successful sooner if I would have just sat and enjoyed spending time in the woods.

9). Make sure you accurate with your rifle. Spend time in good practice and try and simulate mentally with shooting a deer- at the range use your imagination and some push-ups to get your heart rate and and adrenaline going and focus on steadying your hand and squeezing the trigger. Breathe slowly, aim small. Also know where to shoot a deer- nothing worse then injuring an animal and never finding it.

10 Have fun- Hunting is good therapy for your mind body and soul.
^^^^^^ This. Hunting is not just something you can wonder into the woods a couple times a year with no clue and be successful at. It takes work. You need to learn to read the woods and learn the behavior of what animal you are hunting, a lot of research can be done online that can be very helpful but it is no match for what you will learn from many morning's watching the first rays of sun peaking through the pines. You will get get busted by deer and each time you do you will learn what not to do, thats just as important as knowing what you should do. Patience is a key. Many years at the end of hunting season I am almost ready for it to be over, the reason being as long as it is hunting season I can't sleep in and I'm in the woods pushing my body even though it is tired and needing rest. Hunting is something that if it's in your blood it will rival that of a nasty crack addiction, but in the end it's far more rewarding. Good luck and I wish you well.

My first hunting was squirrels in Wilson Shoals WMA. I eventually hunted deer there as well. Didn't know what I was doing, wasn't successful getting deer there, but had some great experiences. Helped me realize how much I loved being in the woods. Walked a long ways on those hunts. Had some of the best naps of my life sitting under a tree in that WMA. Figured out what gear worked for me and what didn't. Got me in tune with the hunting regs. Taught me there are good game wardens (generous with helpful advice for a noob), and lousy ones (one tried to trick me into a violation, and gave warnings for the stupidest of things).

In other words: Don't worry so much about killing something your first time out. Just get out there and learn.

Another thing I see beginning hunters do is get out of the stand early and want to walk around, still hunting can work but it takes an hour to cover a couple hundred yards. Don't just walk through woods trying to "Indian" a deer because they will hear you before you even knew they were there and be gone.

For added safety, I will print a map of the tract I am on, mark the area I am in and pin it to a tree at the trail head. Some folks might think you are claiming ownership, but most understand what it is for.

Back
Top Bottom