• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is lead for casting bullets go for?

draftpick

Default rank <2000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
203   1
Reaction score
I have 50+ pounds of lead ignots, flats and bars that was given to me and my buddy wants it. What does lead like this go for? I have never bought lead so I dont what to ask him for it?

Actually, you should be paying to have it removed from your home.
Didn't you know lead is toxic? :p

If you want to include $100, I'll come pick it up from you, and won't even charge the hazmat cleanup fee!

1-4 dollars a pound, depending on the mix you want to buy.

Unknown alloy lead $1 per lb.
Linotype alloy $2 per lb
Foundry certified $3.25+ per lb.

Couple of sites has people that doing nothing but supplement their income by offering smelted/unsmelted wheel weights for differant prices. Smelted runs around $70 shipped for 50lbs or so. $60 for unsmelted shipped at 50lbs or so.

Tom

Wheel weights are ok for black powder bullets/balls IMO because of the unknown alloy mixtures in the weights(lots of zinc) recycler gives .30 a pound...babbit blocks with high lead content make better bullets but the drawback on babbit is that it ain't cheap...90/5/5 alloy is around 95 bux for 7-8 lb ingots. For those who don't know babbit is the material that older machinery(broaches,gear and spline cutters) used as bearings or as bearing retainers around bronze bushings.

my usual source for lead and casting info is http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php

there's always folks on there selling lead and different alloys for good prices. and lots of good info on what does and doesn't work and links to other sites if you have questions.

I know for a while there I was buying good lead alloys for about $60 for a USPS large box of lead (55-65lbs). Haven't checked recently but last time I did it didn't seem like the "hoarding" had taken ahold over there... :)

Wheel weights are ok for black powder bullets/balls IMO because of the unknown alloy mixtures in the weights(lots of zinc) recycler gives .30 a pound...babbit blocks with high lead content make better bullets but the drawback on babbit is that it ain't cheap...90/5/5 alloy is around 95 bux for 7-8 lb ingots. For those who don't know babbit is the material that older machinery(broaches,gear and spline cutters) used as bearings or as bearing retainers around bronze bushings.

Need to sort all your wheel weights way before you melt them to keep the dreaded zinc ones out of the mix. Get zinc in the mix and it's only good for fishing weights or an anchor. Does some weird stuff to your casting mix like turn it into an oatmeal mush like mix.
Babbit is some great stuff but harder to come by now days. Have a small stash and it's 5% tin and 15% Antimony for what I have. Linotype is another good one. Normally runs 4% tin and 12% antimony. Either one is good for mixing with pure lead to give you a viable alloy of your choice. My bullets cast from wheel weights have a BHN of 12. This is all I need for my shooting. I can water quench or heat treat all of my bullets to get a higher BHN and make them as tough as woodpecker lips if need be.

Tom

my usual source for lead and casting info is http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php

there's always folks on there selling lead and different alloys for good prices. and lots of good info on what does and doesn't work and links to other sites if you have questions.

I know for a while there I was buying good lead alloys for about $60 for a USPS large box of lead (55-65lbs). Haven't checked recently but last time I did it didn't seem like the "hoarding" had taken ahold over there... :)

SpeedyR, you another CB addict?

Got to love that site!!!

Tom

Back
Top Bottom