• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

When did you/do you plan to take SS?

People don't realize, that is what the GOV. wants you to do ! Work till you almost drop, retire and die as fast as possible ........ Your hard-earned money left in their pocket is what they are banking on.
I for one would like to see , when you die what is left in the kitty goes to your survivor(s) hell its your money .... !

That's the problem. There is no "kitty" they spent *your* deductions the week you paid them. The SS you receive will have been in someone else's pocket last week.

When my dad passed I had to go to SS with his death certificate. They increased mom’s SS to his amount, the highest. She also received a check for $250-$255.
This was in 2002 so it may be different now.
The $255 is a burial benefit that unfortunately has not been indexed for inflation since SS started. Funerals can run to $20K or more depending on where you live.

I'm not sure it works that way....when you die she will be eligible for yours, if it's a higher rate, BUT they don't just give her 1/2 of yours.....I may be incorrect, however I've known a few that have "upgraded" when the other spouse passed....provided they(the spouse) were receiving a greater amount...you should check on that
I have. It kinda is the way it works when you read the fine print. She'll have to apply for it, but she will qualify for up to 50% of my SS in addition to what she's receiving. However, the total of the 2 cannot exceed my SS.

The $255 is a burial benefit that unfortunately has not been indexed for inflation since SS started. Funerals can run to $20K or more depending on where you live.
My mom planned ahead and prepaid for their cremation and burial in the family plot. I paid for headstones. My aunt left it up to me to take care of her funeral and it was $16k in 2006. Thankfully my aunt was a wealthy woman and left plenty of money.

Back
Top Bottom