• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

When is a cord of wood not a cord?

SMLEshooter

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
92   0
Reaction score
Seems like every time I buy a cord.

Why can't sellers be honest and provide a full cord? Every time I stack it after it's delivered they're short by 10% to 25%...

And I don't think I'm being over meticulous in stacking it as tight as I can, just put one piece on the stack so it doesn't fall over then move on to the next.

In case anybody's wondering, it wasn't any wood sellers on here. You guys are all too far away to make delivery economical.

It is just like everything else....words matter. People calling a "Face" cord or "half cord" a cord of wood really have no idea what a cord of wood is. A lot of nimrods think a pick up load is a cord.
Some seem to think calling a magazine a clip is ok..."you should know what they are talking about"....calling any handgun a pistol, etc. The proper terminology is important if you really want to know what you are buying.

Ask them before they deliver if they know what it is. Tell them you have a rack that holds exactly a cord. Pay them an extra couple bucks to fill the rack. If they are shorting you 25% (which is obviously ridiculous), you'll still come out ahead having them stack it and paying a little extra.

You could always have them deliver solid logs of the exact volume of a cord and then chop it up yourself.

http://www.agr.georgia.gov/departme...-help-protect-buyers-sellers-of-firewood.aspx

According to the State of GA, Dep't of Agriculture, firewood must be sold by the cord OR by another measure of volume.
A "cord" is 128 cubic feet, which is easy to measure if you have the wood cut to 24" lengths:
It's two stacks of 2-foot firewood, each 8 feet long and stacked 4 feet high.

However, if your firewood is cut to odd and assorted lengths (like I cut mine, with my chainsaw), ranging from 14" to 20", this can make measuring a true cord a difficult task. Some estimation is required.

Back
Top Bottom