• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ZEV 22lr Conversion for Glock 17/22.

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
First of all, shipping from Cheap Gun Gear is fast! I ordered this yesterday afternoon and it was on my doorstep today. I paid for Priority Mail (about $12) and they sent it UPS 2day and it still got here in just a little over 24 hours. So..good start!

First impressions:
It seems to be well made with good materials. The slide is heavier than I expected and that's a good thing. It makes the weapon feel more like the original. I would say the slide is about 4/5ths as heavy as the original Glock slide. It does not make the pistol feel like a toy, as many other 22 conversion I've dealt with do.

The sights are standard target sights (Black on Black) with adjustment for windage on the rear sight by loosening an Allen screw. They say that the dovetail cut is compatible with standard Glock sights and that may be the case, but a standard Glock rear sight will not work because the top of the slide has been cut out to accept some types of optics, thus a standard sight would not be tall enough because the sight mounts in the bottom of the cut. One of the first things noticeable when you pull it out of the box is that the rear sight is taller than usual. It's a nice touch that it's already set up to accept optics, but I wonder about availability of a rear sight that is a two dot, which I will definitely want to change this to. More to come on that issue.

The magazine (one) is well made and loads 10 rounds in a slightly staggered configuration. It seats solidly and locks back the slide when empty.

The instruction are well done and installation and field strip cleaning are the same as the original Glock. 10 seconds to install.

The instructions also reiterate that the conversion should run with good reliability (2% or less failure) with any ammo that is 40 grains or more with a muzzle velocity of 1000fps or faster. That's better than any other conversion I have investigated, but we'll have to see if it proves to be true. Another interesting thing it says is that if you use subsonics it will fail once it gets dirty. That could be interesting.

I'll try to get to the range tomorrow and I'll let you know how it runs with a variety of ammo. So far, I'm pleased. Now if it will just actually run. LOL!

ZEV.jpg

Well, it's very consistent. It won't run anything, including Stingers. About an 80% failure to feed. 100% on the first 5 rounds of a 10 round mag. I'll be contacting ZEV tomorrow to see what they say, but as it stands now this thing is a serious POS.

Considering that all of the current slides ZEV does are gen 3 I bet that may be part of your problem. Try the conversion on a Gen 3....

Considering that all of the current slides ZEV does are gen 3 I bet that may be part of your problem. Try the conversion on a Gen 3....
I called ZEV today and you are absolutely right. It does not work on the Gen4. The retailer I bought it from (and all other info I could find about it) does not specify this. ZEV referred me back to the retailer for a refund.

OK, the retailer did say they would give me a full refund on it. Good for you Cheap Gun Gear! However, I realized that I would be right back where I started from. No conversion kit, so I went ahead and got a reasonably priced Gen 2 G17 from another member here. Now I have an extra Glock (I'm sure I can find a use for it.) and what I hope is a high quality and functional 22lr conversion for cheap practice.

I'll find out tomorrow.

http://www.cheapgungear.com/Default.asp

Last edited:
Well it works a hell of a lot better with the right lower. Still not 100% and there is some ammo it doesn't like, but it likes a lot. Including run of the mill standard velocity and, surprisingly, both subsonics I tried.

Glad it works for ya. I guess your now left wondering what to do what that other pistol. Let me make a suggestion, I'll take it!!!!

Back
Top Bottom