$1,000 rifle and a $100 scope...

Back when I was maybe 12 years old, in the early 1980s, my dad borrowed a .22 target rifle from a friend.
The friend said the scope was broken and he'd been thinking about having it professionally repaired for years, but "never got a round to it."

The scope was a Unertl, about 2 feet long. Skinny tube, and all the adjustments were external.
Like this:

View attachment 3929141

Well, Dad took off the broken scope and set it aside, and we rigged up a 3/8" dovetail mount to the gun,
and stuck a cheap $10 K-mart scope on there. Tasco, made for airguns and .22 rifles, but at that
time it would have been made in JAPAN, not China or Taiwan.

View attachment 3929152

Under good lighting conditions, this dim scope with its 15mm tube and its fixed 4X magnification
let that Winchester 52 turn in some one-hole groups at 25 yards, using cheap high velocity ammo.
At 40 feet in my basement, it would do the same using CCI's CB long cartridges.

Dad and I kept that gun for about 6 months before returning it to the friend we'd borrowed it from.
We shot it several times, and the little scope always gave excellent accuracy, and no noticeable parallax
error at any distance we used it from (not more than 50 yards).
:pound: Made me think of this guy none of y'all have heard about.
1643652950123.png

Why everyone hating on the Savage Axis? Got one in a .308 chassis gun and love it. One of the most accurate guns right out of the box. Leave my savage alone. Probably ain’t even ever shot one.
after hearing my fellow shooter talking down on savage I had to buy one to see what all the hate was about. Right out of the box is was outshooting his rem 700 LTR. His ltr will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards with either one of us shooting it. My savage 110 all weather will shoot 1/4" groups at 100 yds with either one of us shooting it. I own several savages now that outshoot lots of higher priced guns.

after hearing my fellow shooter talking down on savage I had to buy one to see what all the hate was about. Right out of the box is was outshooting his rem 700 LTR. His ltr will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards with either one of us shooting it. My savage 110 all weather will shoot 1/4" groups at 100 yds with either one of us shooting it. I own several savages now that outshoot lots of higher priced guns.
I want a Savage FVSR for just that reason.

I want a Savage FVSR for just that reason.
I have the Savage Mark ll FVSR ......got it thought it was too short and ugly so I put it in the safe.......a year later I got it out to let my son try his can on it. With CCI standard velocity ammo it shot right with my CZ 455. Amazing little cheap rifle.

Scope shaming is real…..

And for no good reason. The scope needs for a hunter in Georgia that shoots whitetails at under 150 yards every year is much different than that of a Range Rambo shooting paper at 1000 yards.

Side note.... put scopes with capped turrets on a hunting rifle. You are not a Delta Force Recon Marine Sniper. And put that damn range finder down. :bull_head:

Back
Top Bottom