1 more question....concerning lab

madrabbit

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
ok...i have a 8 month old lab. Sitting, laying down, staying until released on name to retrieve, but the biggest problem i am having is...ok here it comes.... its water. he will run across a very very shallow creek but anything over about 6inches or so. he just wont go in it. before someone says it...i have not pushed or thrown him in to make him not like it. will it take time? or is this something long term? this is or was going to be my duck dog hopefully this upcoming season. HOPEFULLY.

He is still young just give him time, when season rolls around take him with you let him watch to see how it works. When you think he is comfortable sent him on a retrieve.

Get his favorite toy and work him with it, throw to 6 inches of water if he will work that for a while throw to 12 inches and so on. If hes havin fun he will move on out to deeper water.

OH yeah..i do not make him get in at all...i want him to do all on his own! retrieves like its nobodys business. Sit, stay, then release on his name. He has really showed his smarts this past week...catching on quick.

Also, try chunking an old bumper you don't mind loosing about 20yds out, and just get the dog all worked up. Just repeat Get the duck or get the bird or whatever you call the bumper, let him run around whining and crying while you do this, but eventually he will hopefully get to where he can't stand it anymore, and go after it. Just don't get discouraged with him, I know it's hard, but he will do it. He can't not do it if you know what I mean. He does it to please you, and it soulds like you have a good bond so he will do it. Maybe try puttinga duck wing on it too. If you need a few I got some in the freezer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom