• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

11-14 Hunt

20201113_174916.jpg
I got this little 8-pointer yesterday afternoon. Around 80 yards with a Remington 700 chambered in 300 Blackout

Still no signs of a rut here except the very early chasing. One of my resident doe appears to still be MIA so I think she got shot. Had my black eared doe and her fawns come in tonight and feed all around me for 40 minutes (last night it was 50 minutes) so I know a buck wasn't shadowing. Then 10 minutes before end of legal light, her head pops up staring in my direction, and I thought she busted me, but then another doe walks in about 20 yards to my left. They proceed to have a stare off, and then I hear something run off in the woods behind me so it could've been a buck shadowing this other doe. They continue their stare off until end of legal light, and then the other doe walks off with the black eared doe and her fawns following behind. Of course they don't go far, and I bust everyone of them walking out while grunting...

Still waiting for sign of a rut...

Saw a little doe this morning from stand. Got down, went back to the truck, and started to pull off my coveralls. Caught movement, and saw two does in high gear run across the dirt road. Grabbed my rifle and moved to a pine tree near the wood line. Propped up on a limb......which broke........and waited. Nothing. Went back to the truck, put my rifle in the front seat, and continued to remove gear. Saw movement again, and across the road came a much slower and much smaller doe being trailed by a buck in hot pursuit. She zigged and zagged and ran down in the woods. Moments later I heard blowing. Not sure which still had the air to do that.

1st example of any rut activity in Oglethorpe that I have seen this year.

Congrats to all that harvested game today!

My sister's youngest got his first deer this evening. Hate that I wasn't down at camp for it. My cell camera sent me pics of a good buck I would contemplate shooting too... deciding to take the day off from huntin was a bad choice today I guess. I'll be down there in a few hours...
IMG_0268.jpg

Back
Top Bottom