• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

11/14 Saturday hunt

Shot a decent 8 on public land 7:24 in the morning, saw him run about 60 years a and laid down. I thought he was dead but I waited 20 minutes and claimed down to pull him to my stand and wait for prime time to be over. When I got down he was gone! Decent pool of blood with bubbles in it. I Tracked it down to a patch of small bamboo and bumped him, he took off like Usain Bolt! I must have spent 3 hours and walked 4 miles but never found him. During lunch break I was walking back to the truck and saw a doe at around 80 yards walking. I put my sight on her and gave her a bleat, she turned and looked, I squeezed to trigger and she drops where she stood. I came up to her and noticed that she smelled weird and her fur was wet, I flipped her over and saw she had been shot in the butt area and as infected. Just my luck I guess. I have a picture to sure but don't know how to upload

Dang, talk about some crappy luck for the day.
At least you got the doe... Just cut out the bad stuff.
Too bad the buck got away.
I learned the hard way.... If I jump them once I come back hours later with my Belgian Malinois tracker.
Really sucks when that happens during last light power hour.

I brought @GlockIssue for his first deer hunt. We were greeted on the way to our stands by the neighbor's minature donkeys and cows who apparently don't respect property lines. The neighbor realized I believe it was a prime deer hunting morning so began hollering for his livestock within the hour. That was fun.
GlockIssue saw a doe and a spike. I saw a 7 pointer, a broken main beam 6 and a weird big body TINY racked 4 pointer. I've never taken a deer with a pistol and the 7 gave me a standing broadside shot at about 8 yards. The model 29 started screaming "Please!" but I just couldn't do it.
No venison was grounded but it was a beautiful morning in His creation for sure.
The woods are calling again but I just don't think I can make it back out. :(

I was in the woods
Looking at stars and planets this morning all excited.
ZERO deer for Me but plenty of damn squirrels.
Funny... Something spooked the hell out of them and five of them went from toying in the noisy leaves to slingshotting into trees all at once... Then barking like mad.
The only time I've ever seen them act like that was when there was a bobcat coming through.
I looked and couldn't find what spooked them.
I did hear a bobcat right before first light though.

I was in the woods
Looking at stars and planets this morning all excited.
ZERO deer for Me but plenty of damn squirrels.
Funny... Something spooked the hell out of them and five of them went from toying in the noisy leaves to slingshotting into trees all at once... Then barking like mad.
The only time I've ever seen them act like that was when there was a bobcat coming through.
I looked and couldn't find what spooked them.
I did hear a bobcat right before first light though.
I've seen them do that when an owl or hawk is cruising through. Pretty cool to see

a medium sized doe was behind a tree. all I could see was her ass and her head and partial of the neck. took a neck shot. it wasn't enough to put her down. small blood trail that disappeared around 150 yds into the thick. my buddies and i looked for 2hrs, couldn't find her. it was a learning lesson. i should have waited for her to come out behind the tree and taken a solid shot. sucks.

a medium sized doe was behind a tree. all I could see was her ass and her head and partial of the neck. took a neck shot. it wasn't enough to put her down. small blood trail that disappeared around 150 yds into the thick. my buddies and i looked for 2hrs, couldn't find her. it was a learning lesson. i should have waited for her to come out behind the tree and taken a solid shot. sucks.

I feel your pain. I took a shot at a moving buck and just grazed him. The thing ran (more trotted) into some thick stuff and stood there for 10 minutes mocking me. Couldn't get a follow up shot. I found a couple drops of blood where he was standing and nothing more.

Back
Top Bottom