• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

11/16/22 Hunt

Killed a big doe this eve fixen to start hammering
B212E5A1-AEDA-4788-97E2-D4ACADE5E329.jpeg

Of course not.

Winchester Deer Season XP.

Broadside shoulder shot, just like I would a bigger caliber. I was a little nervous about the short barrel but it didn’t seem to matter.
Thanks, was wanting to pick up something for my wife to use. Funny thing about the shoulder shots, I shot a small buck at about 25yds directly in the shoulder with a 150gr PPU soft point .308, ran off leaving a massive blood trail. Waited 20 minutes, tracked him about 50yds to find him just laying head up looking at me, waited another 5 before I decided to finish him with my 9mm……took that like a champ and ended up have to finish him with a knife. Shot a much larger 8 point that evening at about 75yds, deader the door nail.
C09737B7-958D-493A-AED5-D5DB338544F5.jpeg
4B69F95A-3231-46C6-A075-40BDD671098B.jpeg

Thanks, was wanting to pick up something for my wife to use. Funny thing about the shoulder shots, I shot a small buck at about 25yds directly in the shoulder with a 150gr PPU soft point .308, ran off leaving a massive blood trail. Waited 20 minutes, tracked him about 50yds to find him just laying head up looking at me, waited another 5 before I decided to finish him with my 9mm……took that like a champ and ended up have to finish him with a knife. Shot a much larger 8 point that evening at about 75yds, deader the door nail. View attachment 4970233View attachment 4970218
Yep, it’s weird how some deer react differently. My cousin shot one earlier this week with a 30-06 and it ran a good 100yards though a thicket bleeding like a stuck hog. Huge entrance and exit wounds when we found it and good bullet placement.

The 223 was a tiny entrance wound, no exit. Hardly any blood at all but it wasn’t needed since I could still see him when he fell. I think it will serve your wife just fine with a regular length barrel and proper bullets. That being said, I think a 243 would be better.

Yep, it’s weird how some deer react differently. My cousin shot one earlier this week with a 30-06 and it ran a good 100yards though a thicket bleeding like a stuck hog. Huge entrance and exit wounds when we found it and good bullet placement.

The 223 was a tiny entrance wound, no exit. Hardly any blood at all but it wasn’t needed since I could still see him when he fell. I think it will serve your wife just fine with a regular length barrel and proper bullets. That being said, I think a 243 would be better.

.243 is what her brother uses, dropped 3 in there tracks in one evening. I haven’t been want to get another caliber, so the plan is to get her a .308 in the near future.

I was sitting on the power line in ground blind and saw a small doe come out at 5:00. 5:15 i started grunting and hit the can a few times. 5:25 i caught a glimpse of a doe running through the woods to the right of power line. I started grunting and heard a buck start shaking trees. I grunted several times he wouldn’t come out lol . I got real aggressive with the grunts and he come out rolling. I had to shoot him while he was trotting. I tell ya he looked way bigger at 125 yards lol.
They sure do look bigger, my first deer thought was a big ol doe with the scope maxed out. Ended up being bout a 50lb button buck… win some and you lose some lol

Back
Top Bottom