• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

$14.00 - BPS White River Dogwood Canyon Fly Combos

Yeah, that’s the way it usually goes for me...
So what do you think about this setup compared to a higher dollar rod and reel? Huge difference? Minor? I know with the purist fly fishermen some of it seems to be bragging rights on who can pay the most for any given item...

i have not fly fished in forever, so take my advice below with a grain of salt lol. fly fishing can get SUPER technical and there is a million different ways to set up a fly setup for each fish you are wanting to catch lol. but talking about it....i believe im gonna get mine set back up and bring it to the mountains with me next year lol. perk of my girlfriend is hunting property up by the toccoa...and a private stretch of the toccoa to fish lol. i can limit out with good size fish in less than an hour if i kept everything lol.

this is a solid starter setup to get anyone started into the world of fly fishing though. just buy one of the generic box of flys (they usually have them by fish, like trout/bass/salt/etc), some extra leaders (and watch you tube vids on how to tie the leaders to the mainline, uses special knots.), and will be gtg for a few trips. you will slowly learn your needs and wants and start building up a collection of stuff.

unlike normal casting/spinning fishing rods where price is sorda meh, price really is a factor in good fly rods lol. the more you spend the better they get. and getting more technical depending on how you are casting can depend on what rod you want to use lol. for example i love to roll cast in the mountains, so a standard rod just doesnt cut it. i like a rod with a stiff backbone and a tip thats like a whip for good roll casts. you just have to find what fits your preferred style of casting for what area and what fish lol.

fly reels only really matter if you plan on using it to actually fight big fish, like largemouth/striped bass or saltwater. or big trout rivers where you can get into a big brown, i would spend i bit more on a good reel with a good brake system. for smaller fish you arent gonna use the reel to fight fish, just using your hand to pull in line and let it out. the reel is just for storage of the line lol.

the Line you use is also a huge factor. a better quality line (more expensive) will make casting 100 times better that cheap stuff. also have sinking/floating/semi-sinking/floating with just the tip sinking line lol. you can really pinpoint exactly how you wanna fish with what fly and for what species with a flyrod.

Just got the email saying they can't fulfill my order :mad:

*Edit*

Had to reorder them in the 9' length in the 5 & 8 weights....still can't beat the price, but wish it was the 6 & 7 weight lines.

Thanks for the great info. I know a high quality baitcasting or spinning rod and reel can make a huge difference (up to a point) then you can pay hundreds more for an almost imperceptible increase in smoothness or drag quality or distance, etc. I like high quality stuff with a good fit and finish that will last but these should be good for an introduction. (But then I’m not going to fork over $300+ for Van Staal or Simms pliers) Was just afraid that you might say the rod is so bad it will make casts so difficult you will swear off fly fishing... thanks again.
i have not fly fished in forever, so take my advice below with a grain of salt lol. fly fishing can get SUPER technical and there is a million different ways to set up a fly setup for each fish you are wanting to catch lol. but talking about it....i believe im gonna get mine set back up and bring it to the mountains with me next year lol. perk of my girlfriend is hunting property up by the toccoa...and a private stretch of the toccoa to fish lol. i can limit out with good size fish in less than an hour if i kept everything lol.

this is a solid starter setup to get anyone started into the world of fly fishing though. just buy one of the generic box of flys (they usually have them by fish, like trout/bass/salt/etc), some extra leaders (and watch you tube vids on how to tie the leaders to the mainline, uses special knots.), and will be gtg for a few trips. you will slowly learn your needs and wants and start building up a collection of stuff.

unlike normal casting/spinning fishing rods where price is sorda meh, price really is a factor in good fly rods lol. the more you spend the better they get. and getting more technical depending on how you are casting can depend on what rod you want to use lol. for example i love to roll cast in the mountains, so a standard rod just doesnt cut it. i like a rod with a stiff backbone and a tip thats like a whip for good roll casts. you just have to find what fits your preferred style of casting for what area and what fish lol.

fly reels only really matter if you plan on using it to actually fight big fish, like largemouth/striped bass or saltwater. or big trout rivers where you can get into a big brown, i would spend i bit more on a good reel with a good brake system. for smaller fish you arent gonna use the reel to fight fish, just using your hand to pull in line and let it out. the reel is just for storage of the line lol.

the Line you use is also a huge factor. a better quality line (more expensive) will make casting 100 times better that cheap stuff. also have sinking/floating/semi-sinking/floating with just the tip sinking line lol. you can really pinpoint exactly how you wanna fish with what fly and for what species with a flyrod.

Good deal but throw the line away and get some cheap rio if you’re actually going to use it. Anyone trying to get a little lesson I go up to north GA every weekend (unless I’m shooting) to chase trout on smaller stream. I don’t know much but I can teach you what I do know! Going to Smith’s this weekend rain or shine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that's 2 orders saying it won't be shipped out....

The second order was in stock so I'm not sure what the deal is with BassPro, hopefully third times a charm. This time I bought 2 9' poles with the 8W.

* This is the message I get *

We sincerely regret that we are unable to fulfill your order. The items were either less than $5, not available to be backordered, or you requested that the items not be placed on backorder. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. Most items are restocked within 30 days; however, you may checkbasspro.com for stock availability

Back
Top Bottom