• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

14.5" barrel question

Tactical Beaver

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Hop in, no time to explain...
71   0
Reaction score
I have a 16" barrel on my Rock River that I would like cut down to 14.5", re-thread, and have my 51T AAC flash hider pinned/welded so that it's a legal 16". Has anyone done this? Is the recommended? Dobbs Defense - can you do this? PM me if so and a price. I tried to email, but couldn't find it. ODT, please advise....

Are you stuck on mounting a bayonet or want the shortest non-NFA rifle?

Also, a barrel will typically be cheaper than cut, rethread. You can get some money back selling the 16" to make it relatively cheap IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks! It was just a thought. I have 2 SBR's now and was just thinking of something a little longer w/o a stamp. I prefer 10.5/12.5 or 20" precision; 16" has always been a little odd for me, but that's just my opinion.

I heard of people just pinning a 1.5" muzzle on a 14.5" barrel and was just curious to see if this was worth it to save an inch or so or just better the keep it 16" or just SBR another.....

I heard of people just pinning a 1.5" muzzle on a 14.5" barrel and was just curious to see if this was worth it to save an inch or so or just better the keep it 16" or just SBR another.....
If you have 2 SBR lowers, just get a 14.5" if it tickles your fancy. Many like the military similar length, but I don't see the point to have one pinned and welded for $50-$75, when only $125-$150 more pays for the NFA stamp. The fact of not being able to remove the MD would be aggravating to me. Not much you can do to the upper once it is attached like that.

If you have 2 SBR lowers, just get a 14.5" if it tickles your fancy. Many like the military similar length, but I don't see the point to have one pinned and welded for $50-$75, when only $125-$150 more pays for the NFA stamp. The fact of not being able to remove the MD would be aggravating to me. Not much you can do to the upper once it is attached like that.

I see your point and agree. It was just a thought. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom