• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

1895 Purchase Dilema

Begs the question, what are you going to do with it? The carbine would definitely be more manageable in close quarters, either would do the job on man or any beast in North America. There are rifles out there that would be more practical for specific applications. If you just want it to look at, pick the one you find most visually appealing.
Thank you!

Been said ^^^. Longer barrel, more velocity, energy, less recoil and better accuracy. Shorter barrel, good for close quarters, compact and light weight. You may need to shoot and or own them all to figure out what you want. You're talking about a fine tune difference to suite your needs and wants. Only you will be able to figure it out as everyone is different
Thank you!

ANSWERS:

The slower bullet coming from the shorter barrel carbine will cost you

-- an additional 1.5 inches of bullet drop at 200 yards, but both cartridges will be hitting approximately 2 feet low if your Zero was for 100 yards.

-- you'll give up 25 f.p.s. of retained velocity at 200 yards. (even though the difference was 50 ft./s at the muzzle. The further away the target is the less of a difference there is in impact velocity at that range.)

-- and Kinetic Energy is the difference of 50 foot pounds on target!
(the slower bullet is just under 1000 foot pounds the faster bullet is just a little bit over 1000 ft/lbs.)

All figures come from the ballistic calculator at gundata.org based on a Remington 405 grain SoftPoint bullet.
The only variable being the initial muzzle velocity.
Awesome reply, thanks so much!

Regarding the ballistic performance of a .45-70 bullet fired out of an 18.5 inch barrel rifle versus a 22 inch barrel rifle,

this guy, JBledsoe, an 8000 post experienced poster at the Marlin Owners forum posted this 10 years ago:

"I, too, was curious about velocity loss. so I gathered up some of my 45-70's and all of my friend's 45-70's and headed for the range. I got a considerable surprise.
The velocity loss was minimal to say the least. The difference between a 22 inch barrel and a 18.5 barrel was only about 25 to 40 fps..

....that's only 10 to 15 fps per inch.

And the 26 inch barrel added about the
same amount of velocity.
So what was the difference? The difference in our rifles averaged 83 fps loss of velocity from a 26 inch barrel compared to a 18.5 barrel."
Thanks so much, that is quite an education for me, I’m leaning toward the GG SS! :-)

go with the big loop. remember that they are not worth the crazy used price people are asking.
go with the sgbl or the gbl and add the rail. put a nice optic on it and be real happy.
the guide gun will shoot accurately to the range of the 45/70.
they are great guns and DAHLONEGA GOLD AND PAWN DAHLONEGA GOLD AND PAWN has them for 1500 bucks....
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom