• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 denting brass

Looking at the far right piece of brass. Are you referring to a small imperfection just above the extractor groove in the case webbing as the location that the extractor rested on the case?

If that is what the disturbance in the brass was caused by, I would have to wonder if your extractor is in spec. It normally should not contact the case forward of the rim and extractor groove. Eventually, it may need to be replaced. But, if it is working, I would just let it work. If you are relying on the gun for self defense, you may want to let a trained gunsmith check it out for you.

The dented brass is a minor (and common) issue that is easily correctable. As earlier mentioned tuning the ejector, the extractor and the recoil spring along with (albeit more costly) a lowered and flared ejection port will solve the problem. In my 20+ years of building custom 1911's, I still favor a 16.5lb Wolff variable recoil spring in a 5" gun for those shooting factory ammunition. PLEASE don't use a shock buff!!!!!!

The dented brass is a minor (and common) issue that is easily correctable. As earlier mentioned tuning the ejector, the extractor and the recoil spring along with (albeit more costly) a lowered and flared ejection port will solve the problem. In my 20+ years of building custom 1911's, I still favor a 16.5lb Wolff variable recoil spring in a 5" gun for those shooting factory ammunition. PLEASE don't use a shock buff!!!!!!

I've got one pulled up on Brownells right now. I may give that a shot first then work on tuning next.

Back
Top Bottom