• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 feed malfunction

BillMe45

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
158   0
Reaction score
Last week at a local match I had a malfunction and for the life of me I cant figure out how it happened...

Springfield LW Champion Operator
Wilson Combat 47 "Bureaucrat" 10 round
Winchester Whitebox 230gr FMJ

After firing the 9th round the slide locked back. I looked into the breach and round number 10 was just laying in there. Out of the mag. Tilted the pistol to the right and it fell out.

I have never had a malfunction of any sort with this pistol or these mags (being used in other pistols as well) there may be 2k rounds on the pistol (500 on an EGW recoil spring) and maybe 1000 each on the mags.

I dont have a clue where to start diagnosing this malfunction that cost me a round. Has anyone experienced anything like this before?
Thanks in advance

One cause could be the feed lips on the magazine have spread. As the empty casing from Round 9 was extracted, Round 10 popped straight up through the feed lips. This allowed the follower to move up and engage the slide release.

I would ignore it unless it happens again. Mark the magazine that it happened with. When you’re at the range training, use that magazine as often as possible. If it happens again you’ll know if that magazine is a contributing factor.
Yea I feel like a tator head because my mags wernt numbered and I just dropped it and reloaded. Numbering them now! Thanks

Great advice number ing the magazines is a quick way to diagnose magazine problems

Removed the slide. Inserted the slide stop and a loaded mag. I cant force a round to hit the slide stop and there is no brass at all on it so I guess I'm going to have to run some rounds through these marked mags and hope that if it happens again its before the next match :suspicious:
20190502_224841.jpg

Back
Top Bottom