1911 guys, educate me, please

gkill772001

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
6   0
Reaction score
I've had a firearm on or near me for 20 years. I've owned, shot, and carried a broad selection of makes, models, and calibers.
That said, I tried to like the 1911. I've had full sized, Commander sized, and Officer sized. I've had .45s and 9mms. I've had single and double actions. I've had single stack and double stack. The only one I liked was an old well-used Para Ordnance P12 that ran like a champ, and ate everything I fed it. (Sometimes, I still kick myself for getting rid of it.)
Now, having said THAT, I have talked myself into reentering the world of the 1911. I'm a little wary, and I don't really want to get into budget guns. I'm looking to spend less than $1000. I'm seriously considering a Ruger, Colt, or Smith and Wesson. Similarly priced (or at least within $120 bucks of one another), similarly outfitted, all Government Model sized with the expected amenities (sights, A1 frame, beavertail), all in .45.
Who makes the best sub-grand 1911? Whose will my grandkids be shooting after I've shuffled loose this mortal coil? Whose customer service is Chick-fil-A level, and whose is McDonald's-when-you-just-need-some-ketchup level? Which will make me feel like I'm cheating on my wife when I touch off that first round of 230 grain FMJ hardball. 45 ACP goodness?
Seriously, though, can I get some insight as to the pros and cons?
Do you have another brand that might tickle my fancy?
Enlighten me, lads! (Or lasses, I'm not a mysogynist.) (Or whatever gender you choose to be, it's 2018!)

Get a Sig 1911, yeah I know some of you don’t like external extractors but the sigs are just great all around 1911, they are not picky on ammo like springers, have good crisp triggers and all around a pleasure to shoot. I have the scorpion and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colt or Springfield Armory. I did a lot of research and settled on these as the best 1911’s in your price range...to get better than that you have to spend a lot more money.... Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk etc.

Colt and Springfield Armory tend to be rugged and hold their value well.

Back
Top Bottom