1911 Question

Leveraction44

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
33   0
Reaction score
I have a 1st generation Kimber SS Gold Match. I purchased it new back when Kimber made only 2 models - the Custom and the Gold Match.

It has been a good pistol through the years.

I am not a big fan of the ambidextrous safety, but I can live with it.

My big concern is that the thumb safety is not as positive as I would like. I have carried as a CCW and found the safety disingaged at the end of the day. That is truly scary. The trigger is way too light for that foolishness.

What do I do inorder to get the safety to stay in safe position until I intentionally move it to fire?

I have another 1911 that has a thumb safety that has an audible click and stays in position. That is what I'm looking for on the Kimber.

What is the fix?

It's all about the fitment. If it's been used a lot it might be time for a new one. You can try a new spring and double plunger setup that goes between the safety and slide release. You can also upgrade holsters to cover the safety levers.

I thought I would give you guys some feedback. I ended up ordering a Wilson Combat Plunger spring kit for about $5.

It was just what the doctor ordered. My 1911 thumb safety is now a very positive safety and I have no concerns about accidentally knocking it out of the safe position.

Back
Top Bottom