• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Desert eagle ammo question

Demon

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
15   4
Reaction score
Hello. I recently acquired a mk 1 desert eagle in .357 magnum. I've read the certain types of ammo im supposed to run through it at 158 grain.

My question is do all these ammo choices apply to the mk1? Were Most of the listed ammo types even available when it was released?

Magnum research recommends a variety of 158 grain ammo, but id be afraid to run other grains or lead in case it leads to the clogging of my mk1 gas block.

Gas operated and a semi auto. Lead is probably asking for trouble. As for the bullet weight it's probably to help with timing the slide cycle. The DE was made for the 50ae which is effectivley a blown out 44 mag. So if you shrink the charge and bullet weight for the 357 it probably took some tuning to get it to cycle reliably. As such they tuned it to run 158 gr. I doubt running lighter will hurt the gun but cycling/reliability may be suspect.

My 44 will work 'OK' with some unapproved loads, but for 100% I try and stick with one of the exact part #s recommended.

Even 'similar' loads by the same mfg may not work well. These guns are PICKY, but they are fun.

Back
Top Bottom