1911's: Am I the only one that can't fall in love with them?

RHelton10

Default rank <4000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
422   0
Reaction score
OK WAIT!!!! HOLD UP!!!! I know this is blasphemy, and I know if we were out in the school-yard someone would try and kick my ass (I said "try" :cool:)

First, I love the look of a classic 1911 - absolutely beautiful guns. Especially the really higher end custom engraved slides and grips. I love even more the history and significance of them. Seriously, I get it. But I just can't get into shooting them and I'm wondering if I'm the only one? Couple reasons why:
1. Ammo capacity. I hate shooting handguns with less than 10 rounds. Just a personal preference. Maybe one day I'll get a double stacked 9mm 1911 and be all giddy and what-not, but it hasn't happened yet. Until then I just enjoy shooting my 92a1. Or my 34. Or my 17L, P30L, or M&P 9mm Pro. Get where I'm going with this?...
2. Ammo price. I'm just not crazy about the cost of .45 when I can usually get 9mm for nearly 1/2 the price. I don't shoot one or two magazines and call it a day; I'll go through a couple hundred rounds of each caliber before I feel like I've gotten the most out of my range time. How do you .45 guys afford it?!? Ok, reloading, I get that...but 9mm is just so cheap!!! Anyway, I digress...

So I know this is probably going to turn into a thread about how I'm anti 'Merica and how there's all these great reasons why I should give 1911's a try (go ahead, maybe someone will convince me) but I really just wanted to know if I was the only one that felt this way?

And seriously. How is a newbie to 1911's supposed to tell what is good vs bad in the 1911 world anyway?? Could there BE any more makers, models, sizes, and variants!?!

Ok, rant over. Feel free to tar and feather me now.

Something to be said for a pistol that's been around for 103 years. I carry a G19 off duty, but I'll never dare compare it to a 1911. Maybe in about 70 years, if the G19 is still going strong, I'll put it in the same category. My issue isn't the ammo price. Its acquiring a 1911 of my choosing on a cop's salary.

Some need to spray and pray. Others, well if you can't do it with 8 rounds its time to run.....Just saying......

I own 3 1911's and 1 of them is a cbob, but when it comes time to shoot I always grab my HK45lem . I love the 45 round it is a one shot bullet and it is easy to reload and I too like the 10 plus mags. The 1911's have a better trigger but I still go to the HK. Why? Personal preference I guess. The HK with its changeable grip straps makes the gun feel better in my hand vs the straight grip on the 1911's. That means a lot on gun choice. When the gun fits your hands like a glove then you can control it better and put the hole in the target where you want it or at least close to where you want it. Shoot what you feel comfortable with and can afford. If I didn't reload I would be shooting BB's.

First, all metal guns are more balanced to me, I feel like glocks are a bit front heavy. So for more accuracy I like the 1911 due to weight distribution.

Second, I like 45, but I really liked the 9mm 1911 I fired, so you can have either or depending on your preference.

Third, they generally meter lower than other semi auto pistols with suppressors

Fourth, I l love the grip angle and thin shape, sits so nice and flat on my hip where my double stacks have to go on my back.

Sixth, 'Murica

Seventh, if the 1911 wasn't around for your grandaddy, then you'd be typing this in German.

Back
Top Bottom