• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911's Kimber, Springer, and RIA

plick75

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
2   0
Reaction score
I have my heart set on a Kimber Pro Carry II but I see a lot of posts for Springers and Rock Islands. Can someone direct me to a post or maybe help with the pros and cons of each? Believe me I am doing my own independent research, but wanted to get the groups thoughts as well.

Any advise is appreciated.

Springfield Armory- Pros Forged slide and frame and employs some of the finest pistol smiths in the world,Many of the companies named after individuals who are known for making fine 1911s have been employed there. Factory loaded guns come with lots of bells and whistles cheaper than you can install them and a lifetime warranty you never need. plus you get the sexy crossed cannon grips :) Retail on an STS loaded (Stainless target) is about $900 and it'll put 2 full mags into a spot the size of a golf ball at 15 yards easy.http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=24 They were the company chosen to build the FBI contract pistol. (civilian version is the TRP)

Cons- None just buy a Springer and don't look back.

Last edited:
The TRP is not the exact model that the FBI HRT uses, though it has many of the features that they requested. Great pistol and acknowledged by some to be the minimum requirement for a defensive 1911.

As far as pros and cons of the three makers listed, it depends on what you are wanting to do with the pistol. Kimber's QC and CS suck, the end. I've seen guns come from their custom shop not work, and then required three trip back to the factory and six months before they will work. RIA is cheap, and work okay, but they aren't top dollar and they are far from being as refined as some of Springfield's offerings. For me personally for me I would go with Springfield for anything serious, RIA for a range gun and nothing else, and Kimber can blow me. STI does make some nice pistols also and some of the ones I have played with by them have had some of the smoothest slide to frame fits I have ever seen.

I agree, I've had nothing but luck out of Springfield..haven't had any experience with kimber but seems Springfields quality is on the same level but much cheaper...IMO obviously, I love my Springer

I have owned several RIA pistols and not a single problem from any of them but I did use Wilson Combat mags. Springers are nice too and are better quality than the RIA but like it's been said already it depends on your needs. RIA can be worked a little by a good gunsmith and be very nice and reliable for carry. I now have a Dan Wesson cco and love it! I will not have any problem owning another RIA in the future! Kimber makes a really good looking gun but I have heard too many bad things to try one for myself! Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Just get two Glocks for the same $ you'll spend on 1 Kimber, wish I had. If you dead set on a 1911, look at the Citadel brand. They are a upgrade from a RIA and run about $500 new. I owned one that was 100% reliable unlike my Kimber. They are made from steel and are heavier but will function without being ammo picky. You could still get 2 Citadel's for the price of 1 high end Kimber.

Last edited:
It is true that Springfield has some of the finest gunsmiths ever, too bad they only do work in the custom shop. Most Springfields are not built by them though unless you get a Custom Carry or Professional or some other Custom Shop gun,more then likely the one you find in the store were made in Brazil. Springfield and Kimber both use forged frames and slides and they both use MIM parts. They both made good guns and they can both send out a bad one. I have 3 Kimbers and 2 Springfields, they all work but both of my Springfields needed tinkering with and one needed a trip back to Springfield. Not bad mouthing either cause I like them both, my favorite is my Kimber TLE II and my carry gun is my Kimber Pro Carry II.

Back
Top Bottom