• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1992 Jeep Cherokee Starting issue

GAWeighMaster

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
37   0
Reaction score
1992 Jeep Cherokee with 300000 miles has fully charged battery, never had any issues with it since new other than replacing valve seals and a MAP sensor, the vehicle powers on when key is turned you can hear fuel pump come on. Starter doesn't turn over at all. Does this in park and neutral. Any ideas?

Attachments

• A2C1F9C4-7413-454E-A647-BC44EF6C1EE5.jpeg
    A2C1F9C4-7413-454E-A647-BC44EF6C1EE5.jpeg
    530 KB · Views: 7
If the starter clicks rapidly when you turn the key over, like you’re cranking it, it likely needs a jump or a new battery. If it does nothing and the battery is in good shape, you can try giving the starter a few good wacks with a hammer or long metal pole. The bendix could be stuck. If this works it’s time for a new starter.

Just google “1992 Jeep Cherokee neutral safety switch” and you find plenty of threads and YouTube videos on it. You can bypass the NSS to test it but being you said it wouldn’t start or turn over in neutral either I believe you could have a starter issue or something else going on. Both suggestions are a good place to start but it’s tough to diagnose these things over the interwebs especially on a vehicle that has 300k miles

1693269002530.gif

You can jump pins B & C in the in the terminal and this will trick the PCM into believing the trans is in park or neutral. Pull the negative cable before doing this. And just as an FYI….if this is the issue and the switch is jumped, the vehicle could start with the trans in any any position and possibly lunge forwards or backwards so just be careful.

View attachment 6150951
You can jump pins B & C in the in the terminal and this will trick the PCM into believing the trans is in park or neutral. Pull the negative cable before doing this. And just as an FYI….if this is the issue and the switch is jumped, the vehicle could start with the trans in any any position and possibly lunge forwards or backwards so just be careful.
Thanks I will try that.

Thanks I will try that.
This - best of luck - starting in 2012, I had a 95 and 96 in service simultaneously for my 2 oldest daughters while they were in college.

One of them, the 96 I think, had this exact issue. Would sometimes crank in neutral if I rocked the shifter while turning the switch.

Sent from my 6165S using Tapatalk

Could be a bad starting solenoid. I’d check to make sure it’s getting power to close before screwing around jumping pins on a pcm connector.

Try holding the key in the crank position with one hand and slowly moving the shifter through all the gears

Make sure you keep your foot on the brake .

Get a test light and see if you’re getting power to the starter when someone try’s to crank it

Back
Top Bottom