2005 Ford Explorer making ticking sound.

Madrox

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Fancy Man of Cornwood
477   1
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Ford Explorer. It has around 140,000 miles. It runs and drives great, with the exception of some noise coming from the engine. It sounds like a lifter in an old 302. I have read online and other people have had this issue. 2 solutions I have read are a rocker coming loose and rattling, and the 2nd was the timing chain tensioner.

I am looking to sell this vehicle soon and would like to get this repaired. I plan on doing the front wheel bearings, and a tune up as well. I have had no issues with this vehicle except for this damned ticking.

Anyone had a similar issue that was resolved with this type of vehicle? I am going to take a better look this weekend to see how hard taking the valve covers off to check the rockers, as well as seeing how hard the timing chain tensioner would be.

Any advice or similar solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Timing chain would be my guess? Does it do it all the time or when you first crank her up and roll down the road?

What engine does it have? I have a 2005 Focus with a Duratec 2.0 4cyl. It has a set of flaps in the intake manifold that commonly become noisy after 100k. It sounds just like a lifter or valve noise. If you can listen to the exact area the noise is coming from that may be your problem. If it is something similar, the problem is quite benign. Not a huge issue.

t3_gstatic_com_images_9f512e8cb532e3e080b9030f15ab18a5._.jpg

I guess engine would help lol. It is the 4.0 V6.
I don't think the ticking is a big deal, but I want to sell, and I don't want any potential issues for the next owner. Also, a ticking vehicle makes for a hard sell. :p

The noise is coming from your lifters... Get some Lucas Oil Stabilizer

A 100% petroleum product developed and perfected through thousands of hours of laboratory and field testing. The result is a product proven capable of servicing the lubricating needs of many industries.

Eliminates dry starts and resists thermal breakdown
Stops smoking, knocking, and oil consumption in worn engines
Raises oil pressure, adds lubricity, lowers oil temperatures and stops leaks
Extends oil life by at least 50%
Safely blends with all petroleum products, even synthetics

4.jpeg

I have used this specific product to quite down several engines over the years... I am not an employee of the company - it just works... Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom