• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone still own old Ford Rangers?

When I moved here back in 2009 I needed a truck. Found a 1997 Ranger regular cab long bed with 87k. 2.3L and 5 speed. It wouldn't win any races but was a great truck. 5 years later I sold it cheap to my BIL. It now has over 260k and running fine. Only thing done was brakes, a clutch, shocks and some bushings.

When I moved here back in 2009 I needed a truck. Found a 1997 Ranger regular cab long bed with 87k. 2.3L and 5 speed. It wouldn't win any races but was a great truck. 5 years later I sold it cheap to my BIL. It now has over 260k and running fine. Only thing done was brakes, a clutch, shocks and some bushings.
If you or anyone else know any mechanics with some experience on them could you let me know? Mine is running great right now but you never know.

I have an '89 with the 2.3l that has 8 spark plugs and the manual 5 speed. It was given to me by the owner a few years back. I have had to do a few minor things here and there, only major repair was new clutch. But I believe the fuel pump is on the way out now 🤬. But that will get replaced very soon. Don't think I would ever get rid of it.

Attachments

• 20200515_155550.jpg
    20200515_155550.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 6
I have an '89 with the 2.3l that has 8 spark plugs and the manual 5 speed. It was given to me by the owner a few years back. I have had to do a few minor things here and there, only major repair was new clutch. But I believe the fuel pump is on the way out now 🤬. But that will get replaced very soon. Don't think I would ever get rid of it.
I was a young kid working parts in the early 90’s. I remember friend of mine came in looking for 8 plugs for a 4cyl ranger. Oh no not fooling me buddy. Oops

Rangers are bulletproof. The 4.0 were strong but I think any engine they had was reliable and probably most are still going strong.

When you said old ranger my mind went to the 70’s F100

I was a young kid working parts in the early 90’s. I remember friend of mine came in looking for 8 plugs for a 4cyl ranger. Oh no not fooling me buddy. Oops

Rangers are bulletproof. The 4.0 were strong but I think any engine they had was reliable and probably most are still going strong.

When you said old ranger my mind went to the 70’s F100
My wife's grandfather had one about 10 years ago but sold it. It was blue and white and I believe it had the 390 in it. That was the truck that we used while deer hunting in back in those days.

I had a ‘97 Ranger XLT extended cab that I bought brand new. 4.0 w/5 speed manual and roll up/down windows, I had a Cobra CB with a big ol’ whip antenna so I could bitch about work with the guys on the way in in the mornings. lol! I loved that truck, I ended up giving it to my youngest son who promptly wrecked it about a month later. He fixed every damn thing he tore up himself though, put some pretty cool aftermarket parts on, some Mustang wheels and tires then lowered it. It had a roll-pan in the back with Corvette style taillights too, it was really nice when he was done with it but lowering it really hurt the ride quality. I miss that truck…

I’ve always loved the old body Ford Rangers ever since I was a kid. Just curious who out there has one and your view point on them? Reliable? Waste of money? Here’s a pic of my 03 Ranger.
I drove a Ford Ranger 4wd kinda like that when I worked private security many moons ago. It was a great reliable little truck.

Back
Top Bottom