• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

22 Advice for me and my 13 and 9 year olds

Triathloncoach

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
201   0
Reaction score
I currently am without a 22. :grey: I want to get something for both me and to give my kids greater exposure to shooting.

I am thinking a bolt action rifle is the best. Plus I need a bolt action rifle as I only have semi autos. I don't hunt as I am from New Jersey. :)

I really like the Ruger Hawkeye 77 22LR. I like wood and I like the looks of no exposed magazine. But I can't say I like the price. ($$$$$) But cry once as they say.

I believe a 10/22 is a better value, but a semi auto is not what I think I want my kids learning on. I am also considering a Henry Lever or a 22LR Revolver. SP101, S&W 617. (but $$$$$) Of course I also love the S&W and Colt AR-22s.

I look forward to hearing from those more in the know.

Thank you

Frank

Honestly for young first time shooting, a single shot cricket is great. I learned on a scoped cricket, and the single shot reduced the likelyhood of mistakes such as forgetting a round was loaded, and your child won't have to worry about dealing with misfeeds, mag issues, etc. Plus it slows their shots down so they focus on accuracy.

Also the Taurus tracker 22lr with a 6.5" barrel was my first handgun, it was great, affordable, and again simple to use.

Last edited:
A single shot rifle that is manually cocked would do well to teach them the basics, after that bring on the semi-autos! Ammo is cheap and the look on my daughter's face after she tube dumped a Remington Nylon 66 into a target is one I won't forget.

Good gawd I am such a redneck.

Consider a light weight shorter style gun that they can shoulder well and not become fatigued too easily.

I have a marlin 66 that I thought both of mine with. They still enjoy shooting. My oldest is now shooting my M&P 15.

All good advice. Range trips with my boys aren't the most fun for me as I play range safety, but it has to be safe and I hover over 'em like a nervous nelly.

I have a great Marlin-Glenfield Mod 25 that is about as accurate as can be for a .22. It's a magazine fed 7-shot bolt action. Bolt gun is really the way to go. The draw back to mine is that my 8-yr olds arms aren't long enough, so they have to choke up funny on the gun to look through the scope. I've thought about a Cricket but just haven't gone that direction.

Do you have an AR yet? The great thing with collapsible stocks is that you can set them on the lowest setting and it makes 'em perfect for kids. Now if you could get a .22 conversion, you would be the coolest dad ever. Mine shoot .223 but then get tired of the recoil compared to the bolt .22.

I would vote on buying a used Cricket and when they outgrow it, sell it for what you paid for it and move to a 10/22 or some other semi auto.

I thought of a 22 conversion for my AR. I had one that I traded with my old AR. Now I have a SR 556e. That's unconvertable I believe. But I'm usually wrong.

I learned on and my kids will learn on a single shot 22 bolt action. I think it teaches a kid to take their time and make each shot count. Plus you get a feel for the mechanics of a gun.

Winchester 67 is a good choice, I've heard good things about Crickets, and there's tons of other good ones out there. They're pretty simple rifles so the 100 yr old ones still shoot just fine. They can be found for $100, found fairly easily for $150.

My 9 year old son has been shooting bb/pellet rifles for awhile 3-4 years, he has shot my bolt-action .22 and my 597. so for getting straight A,s in school this year I bought him a Plain 10-22, he loves it, shoots well, but I think he had a good grasp on fundamentals is the reason I went semi-auto, now my 5 year old daughter has never shot and in order to get her interested and not be jealous of big brother at the same time bought her a pink .22 Cricket, and too my surprise she loves it, we shoot bird shot out of it now so she hits the target every time, now we are a family that shoots together. no spectators

I'll add only this. Take the children when you buy so that you can make sure the gun fits them.
A gun that is too big or heavy will make shooting a struggle. Pick up a bulk pack of 22 ammo on each trip to WallyWorld
and take them shooting!

Back
Top Bottom